cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why do I need a license to edit Word and Excel files now?

Why do I need a license to edit Word and Excel files now?

EllKay
Helpful | Level 5

So this just happened today. I can't create new Word or Excel files, nor can I edit existing ones. There is now a paywall that says I need a commercial Office 365 version.

Um what?

Working for an org that has a number of remote colleagues, we rely on being able to share and collaborate on our in-progress work. Having to pay for an essential embedded program on top of a subscription, without any warning, is not cool. 

93 Replies 93

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey everyone, thank you for your ongoing reports! Much appreciated. 

At first, I wanted to mention that, @jurgen_barbieur and @EllKay, I located your support request and made sure to pass your comments from here to the members of my team who are reviewing this for you. Rest assured that as soon as they have more info, they'll get back to you. 

Additionally, @BrookChou and @EllKay, I've made sure to send you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile so as to further investigate this together. 

When you have the chance, please have a look at your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation on this!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Celeste
Dropbox Staff

Hi @jaredr, thanks for chiming in!

I have reached out to you via email just now as well. Send me a quick reply when you can and we'll continue troubleshooting directly. 

Thanks!

Celeste
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

austrie
New member | Level 2

Hi, 

Having the same issue across our entire team! "To edit business documents you'll need a commercial Office 365 subscription" when we've worked totally fine off it until now. Microsoft's help team didnt' have an answer for us either.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @austrie, thanks for pinging us on this thread and sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with this. 

I've also sent you an email to the address connected to your Community profile, so have a look at your inbox and don't hesitate to get back to me there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MrRogers83
Helpful | Level 6

I heard back from our Dropbox rep, and he repeated what he said when this happened nearly a year ago. "Thank you for reaching out. I have looked into this and got the same answer as last time. This has nothing to do with Dropbox but more on the Microsoft side. There is no bug or permission settings from our side that controls MS permissions."

Alternatively, the Dropbox support team that has been contacting me has stated that their engineers are working on the issue.

I've also started commenting on a related Microsoft forum thread, but so far no responses from anyone at Microsoft.

Best of luck everyone!

GJensen
New member | Level 2

I have an interesting twist to this issue. I have recently updated my Microsoft Office products and now am unable to edit due to the ""To edit business documents you'll need a commercial Office 365 subscription" message. However, others on the team are able to edit these documents and they have not updated their Microsoft Office products as of yet.  Please let me know when this will be resolved. 

Most respectfully.

jurgen_barbieur
Helpful | Level 5

I checked the situation this morning, and it seems to work now. But without any comment on the forum or on my support case.

What was the reason of the disruption? 

regards

jurgen

Shannonqs
New member | Level 2

It's not fixed for me.  Can now see word & excel docs within dropbox, but not edit them.

jurgen_barbieur
Helpful | Level 5

which office license do you have?

Shannonqs
New member | Level 2

It's a business license, but I pay for it personally . . . not work.  I'm technically a consultant/self-employed, but primarily work for 1 business which holds the dropbox account.

Need more support?