Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why do I need to connect a computer to set up iPhone Uploads?

Super User
Super User

I am sorry, but you may have a look at this help page - https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/photos/camera-uploads-fix

MarDragon
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks again for the assistance! I've actualy reviewed this link info entirely before going onto the Community.  I've also been emailing customer service on a related issue (they are most helpful) and I have an email into customer service regarding this issue at the present time.  The gail that I've been communicating with is off for the weekend so I thought I might try the Community in hopes of clearing the issue before she returns.  As it turns out, I think, I'll need to wait but what to be certain to let you know how helpful you have been.  THANKS AGAIN!

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@MarDragon wrote:

Why do I need to connect a computer to set up iPhone Uploads?

In order to use Camera Uploads on a mobile device when you have a Basic account, you must have a computer linked to your account as well. This is a requirement for Basic accounts. Plus, Professional and Business accounts do not have this requirement.

From here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/photos/camera-uploads-fix#troubleshooting

Dropbox Basic users must have the Dropbox desktop application installed on their computer to use camera uploads.

MarDragon
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks so much for your response!  Is it possible to have two separate accounts linked to the same computer?  If so, does it change the functionality of either of the Dropbox accounts iPhone uploads?  Can it still upload both accounts.  Is it necessary to have the computer somewhere in the proximity of the iPhone Dropbox for the Photo uploads to work?

Super User II
Super User II

@MarDragon wrote:

Is it possible to have two separate accounts linked to the same computer?

Only if one account is a Personal account (Basic, Plus, Professional) and the other is a Business account, and both accounts have been connected in your Account settings. You cannot have two Personal accounts sync to the same computer (under the same computer user account).

MarDragon
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks so much Rich, that answers my question as to which computer I can attach the Dropbox account to.  I do have another computer (without Dropbox attached to) that I can attach it to although I will be out of State for over 6 months and thought that I would leave that computer in the State that I was departing from.  Do I need to have that computer with me all the time or on continuously (for any reason) when a Dropbox account is attached to it?

Super User II
Super User II

You just need your account linked to a computer. It doesn't matter which computer, where it's located or who it belongs to. Camera Uploads will only work for Basic accounts when you have a computer linked to your account.

View solution in original post

MarDragon
Explorer | Level 3

PERFECT!  Thanks so much Rich.  I think I have everything I need to know now about getting this issue solved.  Most appreciated!!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?