cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: So the green check mark means the file is SYnCED? NO!!!!!

Why do I see a green check on my Desktop file?

dukeeastwood
Explorer | Level 3

I'm new to dropbox and just found out the actual app is no longer a thing and we are all stuck with the explorer file folder.

So I copy a file from dropbox to my desktop... the file gains an "X" in the bottom corner and a transfer window stays stuck at 0%... okay(????)

I close the stuck transfer window, now the file has a green check mark in it's bottom left corner (?!?!?) I copy it to my desktop once again... it transfer to my desktop instantly. So I google "What does this green check mark mean."

"A solid green circle with a white checkmark means your file or folder is fully synced and local. “Synced” means that any changes you made to this file or folder are reflected everywhere you access your files in Dropbox. “Local” means that your file or folder is available when you’re not connected to internet."

REALLY? REALLLY???????? I DON'T WANT THAT!!!!!! I want to make a COPY of the file... I don't need the file to be synced and be altered by me!!!!!!!!! What is this????????? Is this true?????  I need to copy files and NOT alter them in any way shape or form; why would me copying a file mean anything I do to it will be reflected everywhere across the dropbox folder... WHY NOT JUST COPY IT?????

10 Replies 10

ellon_john1
Explorer | Level 3

green check mark mean that your file Is successfully upload in dropbox and save it.

dukeeastwood
Explorer | Level 3

please actually read what I wrote; I hope you're not serious with a reply like that

ellon_john1
Explorer | Level 3

@dukeeastwood wrote:

please actually read what I wrote; I hope you're not serious with a reply like that

sorry just read the whole question and understand now

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @dukeeastwood, how are you today? 

Is it possible that you've accidentally enabled our Computer backup feature

Can you also send me a screenshot of the icon you see next to your files when you copy them on your desktop? 

Looking forward to your reply!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dukeeastwood
Explorer | Level 3

You really don't know what green check mark I'm talking about?

This is just a picture from the internet but it looks like this... this plus the description of what it is found online:

""A solid green circle with a white checkmark means your file or folder is fully synced and local. “Synced” means that any changes you made to this file or folder are reflected everywhere you access your files in Dropbox. “Local” means that your file or folder is available when you’re not connected to internet." this makes the "app" useless... I don't want to be copying files if they are syncing with what is in the folder... I WANT TO DOWNLOAD IT, I WANT TO MAKE A COPY OF IT!!!!!! So 1) why would the "app" do this, and 2), why is this so confusing to even people like you who work there? You don't know what the green check is or what it does? And if you're going to tell me it doesn't actually sync the files, WHY is there support out there saying it does? b2Et5.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dukeeastwood, thanks for the screenshot.

The green check-marks are indeed our icons, indicating that the app is syncing those files as you said. However if you right click on a file, and choose to copy it, then paste it on a path that Dropbox isn't syncing there, you shouldn't be seeing the icons next to these files.

Can you share the steps that you follow when copying a file? 

Did you check and exclude the possibility to have our Computer backup enabled? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

dukeeastwood
Explorer | Level 3

I do not have computer backup on and would never... I'm only trying to copy files for work.

Files I have deleted from my desktop but once copied still appear with the green check mark... it's all very confusing..... why can't the app just NOT make all these confusing marking?

To copy by holding down the right mouse button and dragging.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dukeeastwood, thanks for the info! 

If you right click, copy the content, then go to the path you want right click and paste it do you notice the same behavior? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

tracy staadt
New member | Level 2

Even if you copy and paste it from dropbox it still has a X or check mark. Why? Like previously said noone wants it synced we want an actual copy. Not realizing this i am screwed out of alot of money i paid for images i am trying to move from one computer to another as drop box was deleting them from my old computer.

Need more support?