cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do these com.dropbox.attributes files show up everywhere?

Why do these com.dropbox.attributes files show up everywhere?

Richard W.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

These files are cluttering up my folders. There seems to be one for every real file that I have. I'd like to delete them.

What are they and where did they come from? And how can I stop them?

50 Replies 50

Jeffrey N.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello Dropbox team, has there been any progress in eliminating this attribute file problem? I've tolerated it for about a year now (as I'm sure most users have) and I've looked periodically on the web, but no solution is posted. Could you please fix this? It's definitely detracting from the user experience.

Thomas M.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I still have the same problem since months and i hate it already. I already wrote 2 times to the support team of Dropbox and they are not willing to change anything or to answer on that problem.

I think i have to switch to an other cloud storage because i really hate already that problem with such files.

I have also only the problem, when i have a shared folder, i upload something, the other one modifactes the files, upload them to the shared folder and i download them after that from the shared folder. Then i have in every folder a fu** attr. file!!

I have windows 7, 64bit, ultime.

Greets

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi everyone!

The files you are seeing being added are "resource forks" or "extended attributes" (xattrs).
These attributes consist of additional information about a file and shouldn't normally be seen.
Usually, those com.dropbox.attributes files are generated by Dropbox or your computer when a file with a specific type of extended attribute is added to a computer with File System that doesn't support them.

The main two situations where you can encounter those files:
- You have installed/move Dropbox on a drive with a FAT32/ exFAT/ other unsupported File Systems that do not support certain types of extended attributes. In that case, all your files would be "duplicated".
- You are sharing a folder with someone who has Dropbox installed on one of those File Systems. In that case, you'll find resources forks only in that particular folder.

To resolve this, you have to:
- Locate which user/computer added those files by checking "Previous Versions".
- Once you've identified the device that is generating those xattrs, ask its owner to move Dropbox back to a drive formatted with HFS (Mac OS) or NTFS (Windows) or one that supports extended attributes (Linux).

To read more about extended attributes, please click on this link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes

I hope this helps!

Lorenzo G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Welcome Dropbox Agent,

your answer does not help me. Reason: since months, my Dropbox is only using NTFS drives. Nevertheless, the issue persists: e.g., right now I'm seeing 22.063 (attributes) files being downloaded.

I hope we won't have to wait another six months for a support reply.

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Lorenzo,

Could you confirm those files are added for all file sin your Dropbox and not only for some shared folders?

Many thanks in advance!

Lorenzo G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I confirm. Each file has its own attribute. I do not see attribute files on my drives (I see them only on the web interface) but Dropbox keeps trying to syncronize them (both shared and unshared ones). Very often at reboot, and from time to time (say twice a week) without apparent reason, Dropbox starts trying to download them all from scratch (exhausting cpu)..

Achak B.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Wow just got an email of responce, 5 months and still the same answer, horrible. Just horrible.
Same garbage they spat back then.
Personally, I guess My question was not clear, Ie: Why is my account creating new "com.dropbox.attributes" for every "com.dropbox.attributes" attribute. NOT ie: what's a "com.dropbox.attributes" attribute file? Or why's a single "com.dropbox.attributes" attributes file created?
(or i am the only one experiencing this, so it was garrned, a "Non Issue")
Eitherway i fixed my issue by cancelling my payed subscription to dropbox, and moved back to manual means. 5 months no hiccups. I'd like to thank the dropbox team for helping me resolve the issue by finally breaking my interest in your service.
Achak B. a few seconds ago Share Delete

J. Tianrong
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Dropbox...

Your answer does NOT help at all.

It is not possible that we format our drive to accommodate your service. It is your product defect. You should think about a way of upgrading your software and delete those rubbish files. It really make people feel sick about your software. Just a tip for you. Hope this helps.

Thomas M.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi

easiest way to solve the problem is to switch to copy.com - i have there now no problems and works well 🙂

Greets

Richard W.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox's response to me is that my collaborator needs to file a support ticket as it is his computer that might be causing the issue. But he doesn't see the problem - only I do. What if I collaborate with someone else in the future and they happen to use FAT32? Do they have to file a support ticket as well - for a problem that won't affect them.

Hey dropbox - this issue basically renders your service useless for power users who collaborate a lot. Fix it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Vladimir2 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Bob M.58 New member | Level 1
    Robert S. Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?