cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Google Access

Why does Dropbox have access to info from my Google account?

Thinker3932
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So I just used Google to sign into dropbox and it claims I just gave access to all of my Google Account.  How is this possible?  Using Google to authenticate should be a one-way street.   I wasn't intending to let Dropbox see my gmail, contacts, google drive, etc.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @Thinker3932.

I’ll make sure to pass your comments along to our dev team regarding this, I understand how you would want to keep certain data separate while being able to simply use your Google account to only sign into Dropbox. 

At the moment the integration is made with these permissions to allow easy integration with Dropbox so that you can use the two together seamlessly. However to do so, it does mean that there are certain permissions need to be given. 

If you do choose to disconnect the two, please let me know if you have any troubles or other questions about this and I’d be more than happy to help with this.

Have a great weekend ahead!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there, @Thinker3932.

When you connected your Google account, it will have needed permission to give access to that info to proceed with using your Google account to sign into Dropbox.

If you want to remove this, as you mentioned that you don’t want Dropbox to be able to access this info, you can go to the Connected app page in your account settings and choose to disconnect Google.

Let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Thinker3932
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox does not need access to all my contacts, emails and driove contents to allow Google authentication to work.  Google authentication can be used without me giving up private information.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @Thinker3932.

I’ll make sure to pass your comments along to our dev team regarding this, I understand how you would want to keep certain data separate while being able to simply use your Google account to only sign into Dropbox. 

At the moment the integration is made with these permissions to allow easy integration with Dropbox so that you can use the two together seamlessly. However to do so, it does mean that there are certain permissions need to be given. 

If you do choose to disconnect the two, please let me know if you have any troubles or other questions about this and I’d be more than happy to help with this.

Have a great weekend ahead!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Feemoodu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I just signed in via my google account for the first time and realised that I gave permission for Dropbox to download my contacts. Which I am not comfortable with. How can I revoke this? Am I too late? Is this not a breach of privacy, even if I did click ok?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Feemoodu, I hope you're well today!

I've just moved your post here so that I can ask you to check out the posts in this thread when you have the chance.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?