cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does dropboxupdatehelper.msi use mountvol.exe to mount the EFI System Partition on Windows?

Why does dropboxupdatehelper.msi use mountvol.exe to mount the EFI System Partition on Windows?

Seraph
New member | Level 2

I'm a security analyst trying to understand why dropboxupdatehelper.msi mounts the EFI System Partition.  I'm assuming that it does this by design - but I don't understand why.  The alternative is that I've got something pretending to be dropbox manipulating the EFI System Partition in my environment.  

Does anyone know why/if this might be done by the dropbox app on a Windows system?

Thank you for any clue you can provide!

3 Replies 3

Re: Why does dropboxupdatehelper.msi use mountvol.exe to mount the EFI System Partition on Windows?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @Seraph, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, would you mind sending me a few screenshots of what you're seeing there?

Also, which version of the app do you have installed at the moment?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Why does dropboxupdatehelper.msi use mountvol.exe to mount the EFI System Partition on Windows?

Seraph
New member | Level 2

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.  I expect this will be an easy question for one of your software engineers to answer.  To be clear, I'm just trying to understand what your software is doing here so I can sleep better at night knowing that this isn't a rogue process.  The end user is running the desktop client on a windows 10 device.  I expect that they are running the latest version - though that shouldn't matter for this question.

I'm attaching two images.  One shows that this file has been digitally signed by Dropbox - assuming the cert is authentic.  The other shows that mountvol is ultimately called to mount the EFI System Partition on the D drive.

Thank you again, I look forward to learning more about this.

image-of-mountvol-mounting EFI System Partition.pngimage-showing-dropboxupdatehelper-msi-signed.png

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Seraph, would it be possible to contact you at your email address to look into this matter further? Thanks!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?