cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my Mac store my Dropbox files locally, yet my phone does not?

Why does my Mac store my Dropbox files locally, yet my phone does not?

Andrew M.29
New member | Level 2

Why is it I have to selectively sync a folder on my Mac to easily access it/modify it, yet if I were accessing it on my phone this isn't the case? Why doesn't it just work on my Mac the same as it does on my iPhone?

I don't understand why I need to store files locally in order to access them, when all I want is a remote folder to store my files - which is essentially how it functions on iOS and mobile devices, yet not on my Mac. Why is this the case and is there anyway around it? This is a deal breaker for me.

6 Replies 6

Re: Why does my Mac store my Dropbox files locally, yet my phone does not?

Mark
Super User II

Phones are more like a viewer and operate totally different as you have seen. The issue with it is that how do you store 1TB of data on your iPhone? How do you decide what is and what isnt on etc.?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Andrew M.29
New member | Level 2

That's what I'm saying I guess, I want to view my files in a folder, with folder structure on my Mac, just as I do on my phone, without having to store them locally as well. When I want to access them I can just open them from the folder, as I currently do, but they will be stored in Dropbox, and not locally. Is this possible? It seems like such a basic, intuitive feature I find it hard to believe it can't be done.

Mark
Super User II

No - and a lot of it is because companies havent released the coding and API to do so. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Andrew M.29
New member | Level 2

That's a huge bummer. I just want something to function like a network drive basically so I don't  have to store all my files locally but can still access them through a file browser easily and work from there. It looks like there are 3rd party options though, so I'm curious how they work if they have the same limitations regarding API/coding.

Mark
Super User II

Part of the issue is that Dropbox has always been cross platform. So for something to work on one OS it needs to also work on the others it serves. So for example the main company who has a third party add on to do this does so for Windows only. 

kenneth h.4
New member | Level 1

I have 78 gb of files in my dropbox folder on the mac.  What is the value of cloud backup if I have this on my mac?

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kenneth h.4 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    Andrew M.29 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?