Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Why does the new Dropbox desktop application take up so much RAM when running?

Explorer | Level 4

Hello

I just notice that the new (and super heavy) dropbox is there.

The vers 93.4.273 !.

My first reaction. What is all these fonctionnality for a simple drive.

You can leave comments, create xls, doc, and a super graphical interface. That don't do more than a simple explorer . So i search in all preference to get it smaller but no way to do that.

After i check the process. I notive a dropbox.exe that take 259000 mego of RAM. Is there any bug? Is it normal?

dropbox_400mega.PNG

In the same time there is more than 5 x QtWebEngineProcess.exe... 

This lead to a total amount of ram use of 400 mega!.

Everybody have this king of use? Even more than Chrome.

Two remarks :

1) This program need to be optimized.

2) You should create a Dropbox Lite for the people that just want to save they file...

Olivier

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Why does the new Dropbox desktop application take up so much RAM when running?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @Dotr, I hope you're having a good day so far!

There could be a few reasons that you're experiencing high CPU usage on your device.

As a first step, could you check out this article here to see if any of the points there do the trick?

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Why does the new Dropbox desktop application take up so much RAM when running?

Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

in this article, it's written that for big Dropbox or bien number of files it can be slow.

I have a relativaly small dropbox 9.29Go and 9854 files...

So for me it's not the problem

Olivier

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that out @Dotr!

Can you let me know what your desktop app's sync status is when you see that you're getting high CPU usage?

If you click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray, if the app is syncing do you see progress in the sync status or does it appear to be stuck?

Also, if you prefer not to use the new desktop app interface, you can change the default to your file browser with the steps outlined here. This way, you don't need to open the new interface if you don't need it.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello

What is notice.

1) If the dropbox is running every right click on a directory, or file in dropbox space is super slow ! ! Even moving from one directory to another... 

2) Estimated time is wrong and super slow - 2 days for 2 files...

3) Using explorer normal in spite of this program is normal. No sens to add a program that do the same things than windows... How can i do that? But i think this will not make it smaller and quicker...

Olivier

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey again @Dotr, I hope you had a good weekend!

Could you just clarify for me, are you seeing that the app is stuck syncing these 2 files? If so, it could be that the high CPU usage you see is due to the app trying to sync the files, but it's not able to.

If you haven't seen this number decrease at all over a long time period, or you see the sync speed at 0.0KB/s, please try the steps below:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab.
  5. While holding the Space bar key, click "Fix permissions".

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please follow the steps again and instead click "Fix Hardlinks". The app might need to sync for a while after doing this, so please just keep an eye out for any progress.

Also, if you'd like to try changing the default back to using just your File Explorer rather than the new desktop app interface, please check our the steps here, to see if that helps.

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello @Daphne , Many thanks for all your time,

Could you just clarify for me, are you seeing that the app is stuck syncing these 2 files? If so, it could be that the high CPU usage you see is due to the app trying to sync the files, but it's not able to.

No, it's not freezing because the time decrease and the CPU usage is free again. 

But time is very strange and long in the estimate (ok not verry important i can live with that) but the CPU usage is dramaticaly too high. That's not normal.

I change to reput windows file explorer in spite of the "new app".

Regarding you suggestion, i'm lost. I can go to preference and tab "Account" i never see this

@Daphne wrote:
  1. While holding the Space bar key, click "Fix permissions"

I try the same new app in another computer with windows 10 and same problem. RAM usage is not acceptable (10 x more than a good antivirus!)
Dropbox1.PNGDropbox2.PNG

Thanks a lot

Dotr (who's dreaming of finding the Dropbox application as light as 10 years ago)
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I see, thanks for checking on that @Dotr!

In this case, I'd recommend uninstalling and then reinstalling the desktop app. However if you're on a Basic plan, please bear in mind the 3 device limit.

If you currently have more than 3 devices connected to your account, please don't perform the reinstall and let me know so we can look at a different option.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?