cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't I have Smart Sync options on my Windows machine, when they're visible on my Mac?

Why don't I have Smart Sync options on my Windows machine, when they're visible on my Mac?

ahhhna
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there community!
I have been trying to manage my digital archives with the Smart Sync function, but I'm having some trouble with it. 
I am a Dropbox Plus user so I should have access to the Smart Sync feature. 

On my Macbook Pro, I am able to use Smart Sync: I can see online-only files in Finder and view them.  I can right-click a file and toggle online-only/local storage. It's great.

mac-01.jpg

But on my desktop PC (Windows 10), I do not have that functionality and only see Selective Sync options. 

PC-01.pngPC-02.jpg

What's going on? Shouldn't I have access to smart syn features on Windows 10 as well?
Thank you! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why don't I have Smart Sync options on my Windows machine, when they're visible on my Mac?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @ahhhna, thanks for posting on the Community!

Could you doublecheck that the Windows app is connected to the same Dropbox account, to ensure there isn’t any difference there?

Also, is the Dropbox desktop application installed with administrator privileges? If it’s a work PC, then it’s possible that you might need to get an IT admin to install it for you.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Why don't I have Smart Sync options on my Windows machine, when they're visible on my Mac?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @ahhhna, thanks for posting on the Community!

Could you doublecheck that the Windows app is connected to the same Dropbox account, to ensure there isn’t any difference there?

Also, is the Dropbox desktop application installed with administrator privileges? If it’s a work PC, then it’s possible that you might need to get an IT admin to install it for you.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

ahhhna
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, thanks for the warm welcome!

-Yes, definitely same dropbox account. 

-I wasn't sure how to check if Dropbox had administrator priviidleges, but either was, reinstalling the desktop dropbox app on my PC has done the trick! Thank you! 

Jay
Dropboxer

Glad to hear it worked, @ahhhna!

If the app is installed without administrator rights, you don’t get Smart Sync options, and some other features. Reinstalling it as you saw seemed to resolve this issue.

Enjoy your weekend!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?