cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is DBXsvc still running after uninstall of the program

Why is DBXsvc still running after uninstall of the program

michkov
Helpful | Level 5
I recently uninstalled Dropbox. Today, after 5 reboots, I find a process called DBXsvc running in the Task Manager. Turns out its a dropbox component. How is this still on my system if I uninstalled the program via the programs own uninstaller? Second question what does this service do? Third how to I remove the service in question? I'd like to install Dropbox on a clean slate if possible, but having parts of it remain doesn't help my trust in it.
12 Replies 12

Isabella
Dropbox Staff

Hi michkov,

In order to fix this issue, would you mind opening the "Task Manager" by right-clicking the taskbar and clicking "Start Task Manager". Then please click on the "Processes" tab to see if there are any other processes associated with Dropbox that may be preventing Dropbox from being removed from your device. You may need to click "Show processes from all users" to check all processes.

Once you are viewing these processes, if you see any items that refer to Dropbox, or recognize any programs that you may have linked to Dropbox, please perform the following steps for each applicable process:

- Click on the line that references the process to select it
- Click on "End Process"

After you've done so, please try to follow the normal uninstall instructions found on this page:

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/41

Hope this helps!

michkov
Helpful | Level 5
Dropbox is already uninstalled just DBXsvc.exe still remains, that is the point of my post. Here is a timeline of what I did so far. 1) Uninstalled Dropbox via the Controlpanel. Wored without error. 2) Rebooted at least 4 times in the meantime. 3) Open Taskmanager found Dbxsvc.exe running 4) disabled Dbxsvc from running via the Services window in Windows. 5)Checked the %APDATA% %LOCALDATA% folders for remnants of dropbx, nothing found. I'd like to know why its still running if I already uninstalled it and if I can just delete the file "...\ Windows\System32\DBXsvc.exe"

mb60893
Helpful | Level 5

You could always try a file unlocker of some sort. 

I've attached the one I used for the same problem from MajorGeeks.

Install this, go to the location of the file that is still running (C:\Windows\System32\Dbxsvc.exe), right click the executable, press unlocker, and then choose the "delete" option.

This should delete the file. If everything on your screen goes blank, don't worry. Press Ctrl-Shift-Esc on your keyboard to bring up Task Manager, then select File... -> Run... and type      explorer.exe

Give that a go!

dolphin_probs
New member | Level 2

It's because Dropbox leaves it's service installed and enabled after uninstallation.  God only knows why...??  DROPBOX?!??  Big Brother.. CONSPIRACY MAYBE??  MAYBE THEY'RE AFTER US AAAAAAAAALLL!!

open a cmd prompt - type net stop dbxsvc

then type sc delete dbxsvc

Dolphin_forSand
New member | Level 2

dropbox_sucks ha escrito:

It's because Dropbox leaves it's service installed and enabled after uninstallation.  God only knows why...??  DROPBOX?!??  Big Brother.. CONSPIRACY MAYBE??  MAYBE THEY'RE AFTER US AAAAAAAAALLL!!

open a cmd prompt - type net stop dbxsvc

then type sc delete dbxsvc

Very helpful thanks, I should add that you should "Run as admin" the CMD to avoid Windows access denial

SChalice
Helpful | Level 6

Utterly shady company. This is almost criminal.

peterfnet
New member | Level 2

Really? Looks just like a bum uninstall program to me. I like to reserve my accusations for ones I can prove malice

mb60893
Helpful | Level 5

From what I can gather, this just occurs due to Windows locking the process or not having sufficient privileges to stop the process in order for Dropbox to be uninstalled. In Dropbox's defence, this is something very difficult for any application to do due to the way Microsoft's services and processes work.

The good news is that it isn't too hard to fix. By using a third party unlocking tool or somehow manipulating the command line to stop the service and then remove it, you can easily remove the DBXsvc.

SChalice
Helpful | Level 6

"this is something very difficult for any application"

It is not hard at all and every service driver uninstallation programmer worth his chops does it with a reboot.

InstallShield Limited Edition (ISLE) is free for Visual Studio developers and unistalls services easily.

Suggesting that DropBox doesn't have a compentant enough programmer to do something this basic is further insulting DropBox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

byob79 New member | Level 2
    dolphin_probs New member | Level 2
    SChalice Helpful | Level 6
    mb60893 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?