cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is DBXsvc still running after uninstall of the program

Why is DBXsvc still running after uninstall of the program

michkov
Helpful | Level 5
I recently uninstalled Dropbox. Today, after 5 reboots, I find a process called DBXsvc running in the Task Manager. Turns out its a dropbox component. How is this still on my system if I uninstalled the program via the programs own uninstaller? Second question what does this service do? Third how to I remove the service in question? I'd like to install Dropbox on a clean slate if possible, but having parts of it remain doesn't help my trust in it.
12 Replies 12

SChalice
Helpful | Level 6

"I like to reserve my accusations for ones I can prove malice"

You aren't really putting the two and two togethor. Blindingly trusting DropBox in light of evidence to the contrary, and before real malice rears its head, seems like a mistake.

If the "issue" still exists (which I bet it does after all this time) then it is clearly malice.

https://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/protests-continue-against-dropbox-after-appointing-condole...

One of the main arguments against Ms. Rice is based on a 2005 television interview in which she defended the N.S.A.’s warrantless surveillance program.

http://www.wncinfosec.com/dropbox-opening-my-docs/

"Regardless, the .doc files seemed to have been opened for some reason.  I’d like to know why…"

dolphin_probs
New member | Level 2

and curiously enough, the DbxSvc actually managed to reappear on my Windows 10 Pro (non-neutered) PC.

..wtf..

would suggest to anyone that has removed it, to dbl-check and see if it magically reappeared.

byob79
New member | Level 2

agreed. I uninstalled Dropbox months ago and jsut today see this process. Yea it's easy enough to remove after googling and spending about 5 mintues researching but that shouldn't have to be done. Lots of people I"m sure have no idea this service is running on their machine without their knowledge.

I just am bvisitng this  in Feb 2018 I see the post is from a copule years ago so it is still happening. Just another reason I don't use Dropbox and instead use OneDrive and Google Drive

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

byob79 New member | Level 2
    dolphin_probs New member | Level 2
    SChalice Helpful | Level 6
    mb60893 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?