cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Dropbox for Mac using so much memory?

Why is Dropbox for Mac using so much memory?

512kilobytes
Helpful | Level 6

Why is the new version of Dropbox using so much memory on my mac?

Screenshot 2019-08-21 17.52.58.png

Currently Dropbox is using 258.9 MB of memory.

I don't use Smart Sync.

I don't have more than 300,000 files synced to my mac.

I don't use the desktop app or want to use it, I use the standard Dropbox app that lives in the Menubar.

I don't use 'Selective Sync'

Dropbox version: 79.4.143
macOS High Sierra version: 10.13.4

16 Replies 16

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Omm... :thinking: Strange... Ok. Try uninstall current version and install again appropriate version.

512kilobytes
Helpful | Level 6

Is uninstalling and installing again a known fix for Dropbox using excessive amounts of memory?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@512kilobytes, I talk about eventual new/alternative version you have probably installed (which was part of question), not for the memory engagement. May be @Lusil can say something more about the memory.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @512kilobytes

There is a remote possibility it could help. However, if the desktop app is using a lot of RAM and CPU, there could be underlying causes (such as symlinks, having too many files in your Dropbox folder, and so on) then the behavior could reoccur.

Hope this helps clarify matters!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cotfas
New member | Level 2

Hello

I also need the  79.4.143 Dropbox version on my mac Catalina so at least I have maximum ~250mb consumtion rather than the newer version 94.4.384, and taking ~550mb ram... 😐

I can not install the older version, as when is installed it autoupdates to the latest.. (I have disabled beta builds from dropbox settings page)

Thank you

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @cotfas,

Did you review here? :upside_down:

Hope this helps.

kamonlai
New member | Level 2

I just want to have a light version of Dropbox, sync files only and free my memory.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kamonlai New member | Level 2
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    cotfas New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?