cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Dropbox.kext 32-bit on macOS 10.15?

Why is Dropbox.kext 32-bit on macOS 10.15?

vrm
Explorer | Level 4

I trying to track down issues on my Mac running macOS 10.15.2 (Catalina - 64-bit only).  EtreCheck reports that Dropbox.kext is 32-bit. Label: com.getdropbox.dropbox.kext. Version: 1.10.3 - SDK 10.14.

I deleted the kext and downloaded a fresh Dropbox installer. Ran it and installed v87.4.138.

Ran EtreCheck and the 32-bit kext is back. What's up with that?

As an aside, Dropbox seems to be running fine. It may not be causing issues, but Catalina does not support 32-bit apps. So is this kext actually doing anything beside occupying space?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why is Dropbox.kext 32-bit on macOS 10.15?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @vrm!

I don't have any info to share at the moment on whether a 64-bit app is in the works right now. 

However, we do have a request for this here. I'd suggest having a look there and upvoting the post to share your interest in this too as this helps us to track the feedback on this more effectively.

Sorry that I couldn't be of much help with this, but don't hesitate to give me a nudge if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @vrm, thanks for reaching out to us here!

At the moment, the desktop app for Mac devices is 32-bit, we don't currently have a 64-bit app.

Having said that, you shouldn't have any issues with running the desktop app on your device due to this.

However, I'd recommend leaving the 32-bit kext as is since this is part of the desktop app installation to make sure it runs smoothly.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

vrm
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply Daphne. Is Dropbox working on a 64-bit version of the app?

As I said, Dropbox does appear to be functioning normally. Unfortunately my Mac isn't. Running EtreCheck came up with 3 apps that had 32-bit kexts. I've deleted the other two so we'll see how it goes.

Catalina has been one hot mess for me, but there's no way to revert. I would hope Dropbox recognizes that macOS will require 64-bit apps going forward.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @vrm!

I don't have any info to share at the moment on whether a 64-bit app is in the works right now. 

However, we do have a request for this here. I'd suggest having a look there and upvoting the post to share your interest in this too as this helps us to track the feedback on this more effectively.

Sorry that I couldn't be of much help with this, but don't hesitate to give me a nudge if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Said S.2
Explorer | Level 3

I have the very same problem. After follow the support instructions I had installed a full version of Drobbox, but the restarts due to Kernel Panics continues:

From EtreCheckPro

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @Said S.2!

Can you let me know a little more info such as:

Also, the OP mentioned that the app was running normally on their device. Can you just clarify for me exactly what issue you're having with the app?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

bryanfowler
New member | Level 2

I'm having this same problem too. Nightly kernal panics. Started the day (or night) I installed the dropbox app. console logs seems to suggest com.getdropbox.dropbox.kext 1.10.3 is contributing too.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @bryanfowler!

Would you mind checking my post above and letting me know that info?

I'm looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

mkesin
New member | Level 2

Happening to me also; seems to crash every time I close the lid. Had to quit dropbox, crashes stopped. Please fix this, the situation is ridiculous. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mkesin New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
    bryanfowler New member | Level 2
    Said S.2 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?