cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Dropbox synching to my local network address?

Why is Dropbox synching to my local network address?

Helpful | Level 5

I have a stand alone MacBook, unconnected to any network.

Dropbox sees two devices when it synchs. One is My Macbook, the other is My-MacBook.local.

The My-MacBook.local address is the one that Apple autocreates when connecting to a network.

Why does Dropbox synch to this address and not My MacBook? Both devices are visible in Settings/Security....which seems odd! When I delete the .local device in Security it just gets recreated by Dropbox on the next synch.

Thanks

Nick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why is Dropbox synching to my local network address?

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Walter.

Having played around with settings, everything is now synching as it should. I am still showing a 'regular' drive and a .local...but on the basis that everything is working OK, I'll not dig any further!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Dropboxer

Hi @Nick S.13 - happy new Year and welcome to the Dropbox family!

As I don't have a visual of your device's logs, I won't be able to tell how or why this is happening with certainty.

Since you mentioned that the instance you're deleting through your account's security page is re-created upon reconnecting, it sounds like it's the one that's actually syncing your content. 

That being said, I'm wondering what happens if you try to keep the local instance and delete the normal one so if you get the chance to give it a go, please let me know the results. 

Keep me posted Nick! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Walter.

Having played around with settings, everything is now synching as it should. I am still showing a 'regular' drive and a .local...but on the basis that everything is working OK, I'll not dig any further!

View solution in original post

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?