cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my colleague only offered the option to open a file with Word/ Excel Online?

Why is my colleague only offered the option to open a file with Word/ Excel Online?

FerndownU3A
Explorer | Level 3

I have set up a Dropbox account on my Windows 10 PC.

1. When I share a file prepared in Office 365 with a user on a Windows platform who logs in with a Microsoft account then the Open with drop down list includes Word/Excel.
  2. A Windows user with Office 365 but who logs in using a non-Microsoft account is only offered Word/Excel Online when trying to open the file. How can I solve this?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox and Office 365

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey there (@FerndownU3A), while it seems that the file in question hasn’t been synced down to your co-worker’s/ friend’s account, I’d also ask them if they’ve installed &/or actively using a different application to open the specific filetype you’re working on. 

If you don’t mind me asking, has your colleague installed our desktop application? If so, it might be useful to check back whether the file they’d like to open isn’t currently placed in a folder they’ve removed in their Selective Synced settings (i.e. that’s because the Open button will only appear for files already synced with their computer's local Dropbox folder & they can check back on whether this is happening by trying to locate it on their file explorer/Finder).  

I hope that this is helpful to you, however, please do let me know if I’ve misunderstood your inquiry in any way & I’m always here if you have any additional questions about any of the above! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey there (@FerndownU3A), while it seems that the file in question hasn’t been synced down to your co-worker’s/ friend’s account, I’d also ask them if they’ve installed &/or actively using a different application to open the specific filetype you’re working on. 

If you don’t mind me asking, has your colleague installed our desktop application? If so, it might be useful to check back whether the file they’d like to open isn’t currently placed in a folder they’ve removed in their Selective Synced settings (i.e. that’s because the Open button will only appear for files already synced with their computer's local Dropbox folder & they can check back on whether this is happening by trying to locate it on their file explorer/Finder).  

I hope that this is helpful to you, however, please do let me know if I’ve misunderstood your inquiry in any way & I’m always here if you have any additional questions about any of the above! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

FerndownU3A
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'm very new at this! I'll look at it tomorrow.

Jane
Dropboxer

Sure @FerndownU3A, take as much time as needed to gather this info for me & thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting on this matter. Let me know of your findings on this conversation & we’ll take it from there. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    FerndownU3A Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?