cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my device linked twice?

Why is my device linked twice?

Jonathanrub
New member | Level 2

Security tab says my device is linked twice and one with location as 'Rotherham'. I've never been to Rotherham! Can you help?

2 Replies 2

Re: Why is my device linked twice?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Jonathanrub wrote:

Security tab says my device is linked twice ...

Hi @Jonathanrub,

Seems you haven't unlinked your device properly, in advance, before link it again. Dropbox service counts the connections/links made, not devices! That's why device could appear more than once at the list (as a connection) and the connection not refused properly will stay till remove it by hand. Such a state could come up as a result of uninstall the application before unlink it in advance or system maintenance resulting in unintentional link break, for example. You can remove/retire old connection using trash icon next to the link on the same line in the list.

@Jonathanrub wrote:

... one with location as 'Rotherham'. I've never been to Rotherham! ...

Dropbox (and not only) decides where are you according your IP provided from your ISP. Very often this IP is used in many different places (it could be shared in fact). That's why you can "appear" in place you have never been (or at least not with your machine). My "place" changes from time to time, even I have never changed my access point. That's it. Nothing strange. It means that your ISP has service coverage there (Rotherham) together with the place you are residing on.

Hope this clarify matter.

Re: Why is my device linked twice?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Jonathanrub, thanks for providing these details!

The location you're seeing there is approximate, as the country IP geolocation isn't always accurate, so it could show the wrong location.

Is the devices page showing the exact same name for the device, or a different name?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?