cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DROPBOX IS SO SLOW!!!!!!

Why is the Dropbox desktop app running so slowly?

bmallon
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Why is Dropbox smart sync terribly slow? I have 1GB/sec up and down for speed, with a hard connection into an iMac Pro and it takes forever for large files to download when I switch them from online to local? I have a plane to get on tomorrow morning and was looking to take some videos with me to edit, now I can't because dropbox is painfully slow. I was told you do not throttle speed, but I find this "extremely" hard to believe. All of my files were "up to date" already sync'd and then I switched one 70GB file to local so I could transfer it to my portable SSD, its been 4 hours and its at like 2%. This is absurd for a paying customer. Between this and your infamous storage issues with Mac that you continue to blame on Apple, I keep asking myself why I continue to use you? You never work when I need you the most.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @bmallon - sorry to hear about this.

First of all, note that the Dropbox servers do not set caps on the upload/download speeds from the Desktop client, but file sync is a complicated process that includes more than just the transfer of the data. Bear in mind that each file is divided and compressed into hashed components, transferred via secure data transfer, and then encrypted and stored on our servers. 

Now, to have a better look into this, can you let me know your app's status at the moment? Also, can you change your bandwidth settings to boost the syncing process? 

Another source that could be helpful is the following Help Center article (especially step 7 about symlinks): https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/high-cpu-usage

Let me know of any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @bmallon - sorry to hear about this.

First of all, note that the Dropbox servers do not set caps on the upload/download speeds from the Desktop client, but file sync is a complicated process that includes more than just the transfer of the data. Bear in mind that each file is divided and compressed into hashed components, transferred via secure data transfer, and then encrypted and stored on our servers. 

Now, to have a better look into this, can you let me know your app's status at the moment? Also, can you change your bandwidth settings to boost the syncing process? 

Another source that could be helpful is the following Help Center article (especially step 7 about symlinks): https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/high-cpu-usage

Let me know of any updates!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

bmallon
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
I am to let the file sit overnight to finally download by morning. I am assuming it took just over 8 hours for 70GB file. You need to fix your complicated smart sync process. Apple iCloud Drive does it in less than 10 mins.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'll pass it along to the team @bmallon - thanks for your feedback!

Should you need anything else in the meantime, just let me know. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

bmallon
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
This solution should not be listed as Accepted. It’s not fixed. All of my settings where already correct per your instructions above and your file transfer is still slow. I have 1GB/sec up and down, and it still take 4-8 hours to upload and download Final Cut Pro library files which are usually 100+GB. You have some type of coding issue or throttle. I don’t not have this problem with other services. Maybe this is related to storage issues with Apple and your smart sync services that Dropbox has yet to fix or even admit as an issue, while continuing to charge me and other customers monthly.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me and sorry to hear you feel this way @bmallon!

If you'd like us to look into this with all of our tools available (in this way we'd be able to provide account and device specific assistance), you can log a ticket with our team providing more information about the matter at hand. 

If you'd like me to reach out from my end instead, please let me know.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

D_Milstein
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@bmallon wrote:
This solution should not be listed as Accepted. It’s not fixed. All of my settings where already correct per your instructions above and your file transfer is still slow. I have 1GB/sec up and down, and it still take 4-8 hours to upload and download Final Cut Pro library files which are usually 100+GB. You have some type of coding issue or throttle. I don’t not have this problem with other services. Maybe this is related to storage issues with Apple and your smart sync services that Dropbox has yet to fix or even admit as an issue, while continuing to charge me and other customers monthly.

You're not alone. I have Dropbox tech support looking into the problem for me, but I had to use Box.com for a 22GB delivery to someone because there was no quick fix. Uploaded to Box in 15 minutes. Dropbox was going to take 6-8 hours.  For me, it either works soon, or I'm out. It was great until about a week ago.

Benjamin Accine
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This has been going on for months. i have 5 business licenses and dropbox's speeds are unacceptable at this point. I'm uploading 6TB of footage and it's taken weeks to get it uploaded and I have google fiber. not my internet connection at all

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that and thanks for the report @Benjamin Accine - I appreciate it.

At this point, would it be OK if I reached out via your Dropbox email address to work on this together?

Let me know here and we'll take it from there. Thank you!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

brvoltz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue, the sync with dropbox is very slow compared to other file movement... Dropbox you have an issue.. it is clear...

Need more support?