cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't selective sync and Smart Sync one feature?

Why isn't selective sync and Smart Sync one feature?

jprussmann
New member | Level 2

I'm sorry, but I´m still very confused about how selective sync and smart sync work together. I think they should work as a single feature, so when you open the "selective sync" window in preferences, you should be able to set which folders you want to have local and which ones synced, and which ones you do not want to see at all in a particular computer.

Oh, and another thing, please make this window bigger; the current selective sync window is to tiny that you have to scroll up and down to select what folders you might want to sync.

3 Replies 3

Re: Documentation unclear on how Smart Sync works with Selective Sync

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @jprussmann, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Community regarding the options available for Smart Sync and selective sync on the desktop app. 

They are indeed two separate features with the same goal: to save space on your hard drive. The way they do this is their key difference. 
  • Selective sync removes a folder you choose to unsync from your Dropbox folder, removing it locally but still keeping it in your account. 
  • Smart Sync reduces the space a folder or file takes on your hard drive while keeping it visible in your Dropbox folder’s structure. 
Nonetheless, I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team. 

If you have any other ideas or questions for us, just give us a nudge. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jprussmann
New member | Level 2
Thanks for the explanation Lusil. However, I still think both features are redundant and should be integrated into one single window to give the user more control. Thanks!

Lusil
Dropboxer
I understand your trail of thought on this, @jprussmann. Whether negative or positive, your feedback is always appreciated so as to improve user experience with our apps. :upside_down:

I’ve also moved your thread in our Share an idea section of our Community to keep track of your ideas.

If you have any other questions or thoughts, don’t hesitate to give us a shout. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    jprussmann New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?