cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why my desktop location changed after installing Dropbox app?

Why my desktop location changed after installing Dropbox app?

Ahmed Saad
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I installed the basic Dropbox app recently. Now I had two issues even after uninstalling and reinstalling it several times:

1- My default download location is my Desktop. So, when I download any file or folder, I do not see it on my Desktop using the Windows explorer Desktop icon or the usual Folder hierarchy. The only way to go and find the Desktop items is to type the complete path "C:\Users\Ahmed Saad\Desktop".

2- After I installed the Dropbox app recently, I found some hidden items on my desktop including an icon for Dropbox or so. So, I deleted them. After I dis that, I found that all files on my desktop had an "X" on their icon and became corrupt.

Can you advise how to solve these two issues?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why my desktop location changed after installing Dropbox app?

Ahmed Saad
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Again,

After I reinstalled Windows, I installed Dropbox app without the backup option. Luckily I found the corrupt files under "My PC" folder in Dropbox folders.

So, all is fine now.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi @Ahmed Saad, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Is it possible you enabled the computer backup feature when setting up the app?

If you navigate to the desktop app preferences, and go to the "Backup" tab, do you see the top option showing "Setup", or "Manage"?

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ahmed Saad
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

Maybe in my very first installation did this. But I then uninstalled and then chose "Not Now" in the later installation.

Daphne
Dropboxer
I understand that @Ahmed Saad, but it would give me a better idea of what to advise based on what is shown there.

If you didn't unlink the device from the account during the reinstall, then it's possible that the feature is still enabled. 

Based on what it shows there, we'll take different steps to resolve this for you.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ahmed Saad
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

Does this mean if I unlink my device and then uninstalled the Dropbox app this issue will be resolved? Will it also help me to recover the files that got corrupt?

Daphne
Dropboxer
If you unlink the account from the app, we will have to manually rectify the folders that were backed up @Ahmed Saad.

I would advise against doing this until we see where we're currently at, in terms of the status of the app.

Can you confirm for me exactly what option is showing in your backup tab when you open the app preferences? Is it showing "Setup" or "Manage"?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Ahmed Saad
Helpful | Level 6

Dear Daphne,

It seems that I cannot follow the help instructions to solve my problem. So, I guess I may reinstall Windows to solve it.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Ahmed Saad
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Again,

After I reinstalled Windows, I installed Dropbox app without the backup option. Luckily I found the corrupt files under "My PC" folder in Dropbox folders.

So, all is fine now.

Daphne
Dropboxer
I'm glad to hear that @Ahmed Saad, thanks for sharing your update!

If there's anything else I can help with, please don't hesitate to give me a shout here.

I hope you have a great week ahead!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Ahmed Saad
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks a lot Daphne 🙂

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ahmed Saad Helpful | Level 6
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?