cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Desktop App Blue Circle

Windows 10 Desktop App Blue Circle

andrewjsmith
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have the desktop app installed on my Surface Pro 4 and am using MS Explorer to view/access my files. Recently, whenever I click on a file or directory, the windows blue spinning circle appears for between 15-20 seconds before I can open the file/directory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

19 Replies 19

Re: Windows 10 Desktop App Blue Circle

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @andrewjsmith - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'd really like to look into this; could you forward me a screenshot of this along with the desktop app's exact status as shown within your system tray?

Have you tried to reinstall the app on the affected computer by any chance? 

I'll be waiting for your reply Andrew! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

andrewjsmith
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

I tried taking a screenshot of the blue circle however this doesn't show up, if you do a google search on "windows 10 blue spinning circle" you can see what I am referring to. I attach a screenshot of my Dropbox status below. I did try re-installing the app however made no difference.

Regards,

Screenshot 2020-01-07 11.16.29.png

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the quick follow up Andrew - much appreciated. 

Just out of curiosity, have you performed a hard reboot lately? If not, could you give it a go and let me know if you can replicate the blue spinning circle?

If you do, try quitting the desktop app (via your system tray) and see if the behavior remains the same. 

Let me know the results! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

andrewjsmith
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

I performed a hard reboot and didn't make any difference.

I closed Dropbox desktop app and also 2 other Dropbox related programs in task manager and this didn't seem to help either.

However, when I open the desktop app it states it is up to date but when I hover my mouse over the green circle with a tick mark inside it changes to the option to pause syncing. Also, when I click on the drop down menu next to my initials in the desktop app, the "up to date" text is greyed out however the option to pause syncing is in black text and clicking on it allows me to pause. I am curious why I can pause syncing whilst it states sync is up to date.....

Thanks again for your input.

andrewjsmith
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

I uninstalled the Dropbox app, did a hard reboot and accessed the files on my c: drive in the Dropbox folder and everything worked fine.

I then re-installed the Dropbox app and the problem returned. It certainly seems to be a syncing issue.

Regards,

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for sticking with me on this one Andrew - I appreciate it. 

Since a simple re-install didn't help much with the issue at hand, may I have you perform a clean, advanced re-install on the affected computer and report back with your findings?

If the behavior you described remains the same, let me know here and I'll reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to investigate further.

Once again, thank you @andrewjsmith!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

andrewjsmith
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

I carried out a clean install as per your suggestion and still the same issue. At the moment, if I double click on a directory to open it or a file to open it, the Windows blue spinning circle appears for about 90 seconds before opening. So to just open a simple .doc file one directory level down is taking me about 3 minutes.

What still concerns me is that the dropbox app says it is up to date whilst giving me the option to pause syncing and 'up to date' in the menu is greyed out which would infer that it is still syncing........

dropbox.png

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for your efforts and patience so far Andrew.

In order to investigate further, I'd need to look at account and device specific information at this point (which can do through our email channel). Upon creating a new ticket for you though, I found your existing one on our system and got back to you there.

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks again and happy Monday @andrewjsmith

Walter
dropbox.com/support

andrewjsmith
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

It seems I was a little premature with my celebration as the problem seems to have returned….

Today, I am working at my local library connected through their wifi and I was having the problem again. To try and pinpoint the issue I disconnected from the wifi connection and also exited dropbox (as this was trying to sync (unsuccessfully) when I was disconnected from the internet). Thinking that since I was working offline I would be taking my files directly off the local c: drive dropbox directory and there would be no interference from trying to sync etc. However, to open files etc takes about 90 seconds to open with the blue spinning circle appearing.

I tried opening other files from other directories on my c: drive and these opened fine.

I therefore suspect that the issue is related to the way the dropbox directory is set up on my c: drive.

I hope you can continue to help me.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AntMur New member | Level 2
    dcraggs New member | Level 2
    Wardybits Helpful | Level 5
    andrewjsmith Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?