cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10: Dropbox taskbar icon moves out of hidden icons after updating

Windows 10: Dropbox taskbar icon moves out of hidden icons after updating

Smidgens
Explorer | Level 4

This has been driving me nuts lately. It seems that whenever Dropbox decides to update itself, the taskbar icon which I like to move to the hidden icons section, re-appears outside of it and I have to move it back in. This can't simply be a Windows issue, as Dropbox is the only program I have installed that does this so this seems like an issue with its implementation. It's as if updates are treated like a clean install, so that preferences having to do with things like the taskbar, Start Menu shortcut, or folder icons set in the registry, are wiped clean and re-added with default values.

Is it possible to prevent the Dropbox client from taking these annoying liberties or do I have to keep doing this whenever it updates? I can live with the automatic updates, albeit they are annoying, but this is like the software equivalent of stepping on a Lego brick every week. It's mildly unpleasant to an extreme degree.

10 Replies 10

Re: Windows 10: Dropbox taskbar icon moves out of hidden icons after updating

Rich
Super User II

@Smidgens wrote:

It's as if updates are treated like a clean install

It prety much is, even recreating the Desktop icon (if missing, it reappears, if you've changed it, it's overwritten).

Is it possible to prevent the Dropbox client from taking these annoying liberties or do I have to keep doing this whenever it updates?

There are no settings to control that, so you're likely stuck with it. That being said, I don't remember mine doing that when I had the icon hidden. I'll hide it again and reply back after the next update.

Rich
Super User II

Actually I can aleady confirm that this doesn't happen for me. My office computer has the Dropbox tray icon hidden and it has been receiving updates regularly.

Smidgens
Explorer | Level 4
Actually I can aleady confirm that this doesn't happen for me. My office computer has the Dropbox tray icon hidden and it has been receiving updates regularly.

Thanks for pitching in. A selfish part of me wishes you're just the exception, though I mostly hope it's just me and the Dropbox install is just borked on my computer.  

One thing I might add: I'm not entirely sure whether this happens every update. I rarely pay attention to when it starts up, so updating may be happening more frequently than I realize. In which case, the icon doesn't move every update. But that's just a thought.

I would like to know in any case how and why this happens. Whether it's a Windows specific issue affecting Dropbox in particular, or something gone awry with the installation. I'd hate to re-install without knowing the cause.

Notso
New member | Level 2

This keeps happening to me too. It's freaking infuriating. I put it there because I don't want to see it. It should [profanity removed] stay there. If it wasn't for lack of OneDrive support on Linux, I would switch to it in a heartbeat to avoid the annoying liberties Dropbox takes.

Rich
Super User II

Please refrain from using such language, even masked, on these public forums. If you continue to do so, your posts, or your account, could be removed.

@Notso wrote:

... to avoid the annoying liberties Dropbox takes.

You mean Microsoft, since Dropbox has no control over whether the icon is hidden or not. It's completely dependent on your operating system.

Also, four months later and my Dropbox icon has still never moved itself out from the hidden icons, and it receives updates regularly. And this is on six computers running with two difference accounts.

Smidgens
Explorer | Level 4

@Rich wrote:
You mean Microsoft, since Dropbox has no control over whether the icon is hidden or not. It's completely dependent on your operating system.

Of course, that must be it. Yes. It's completely on Microsoft's head. I mean, Dropbox is the only app that does this, but I guess Windows really has it in for Dropbox. Man, Microsoft really itches my fur.

@Rich wrote:

Also, four months later and my Dropbox icon has still never moved itself out from the hidden icons, and it receives updates regularly. And this is on six computers running with two difference accounts.

I must have imagined the whole thing. I profusely apologise to anyone whose time has been wasted by this thread and its imaginary predicament.

Alright. Sarcasm aside. This is an actual issue, and if this isn't happening to you, good, good for you. But regardless of whether you're the rule or the exception, this obviously happens to some people. It's not out of the question that this is Windows related. In fact it's very likely. However, Dropbox as I've noticed is the only app that has this habit of popping out of the taskbar tray. This isn't just Windows. It's Dropbox doing something weird with its installation that results in Windows popping it out of the tray.

Let me provide you with actual precedence in which Dropbox is known to take such liberties. Windows has a limit on how many folder overlay icons can be loaded at a time. This means that programs that want to overlay various status icons on folders like Dropbox, TortoiseSVN and the like, have to compete to push their icons up front. And this is done in the registry. Basically, the first 15 (I think it's at least 25 now with W10) entries in the list are loaded. And this is in sorted order. This thusly makes it possible for programs to shove themselves to the top and by renaming their entries - claiming one of the few spots. Dropbox for example prefixes theirs with spaces (or underscores etc.). And the program actually goes as far as renaming the icons again to push them back up which presumably happens during updates. You can actually find that one day after updating Dropbox, it has overtaken other programs in the icon list by yet again renaming the entries to something that pushes it to the top.

Here's a thread discussing the issue (conveniently containing a screenshot of the registry list).

When I started this thread initially I began with and remained leaning towards the assumption that this must be happening because of something I did with my PC that has nothing to do with Dropbox but somehow is affecting it. And that could still be true.

But considering the registry example, It's all too plausible that there's something screwy in the way Dropbox interacts with the file explorer. It's literally the only app on my computer that refuses to stay hidden in the tray, and its registry reacharound is definite proof that Dropbox has built in mechanisms to keep itself visible to the user. Though this, unlike the registry example, might not be intended considering that some people aren't seeing the issue. But perhaps, it's the other way around. Maybe Dropbox means to force its icon out of the tray, and the people it isn't happening to are the ones experiencing the bug as far as Dropbox's behaviour is concerned.

bajanhere
New member | Level 2

I confirm it happens to me as well. It is annoying. Fight the good fight, and BUMP this thread.

Notso
New member | Level 2

@Rich wrote:

No Rich, I do not mean Microsoft in any way, shape, or form. Do not put words into my mouth. As others have noted, Dropbox is the only program which has this problem (and yes, it is a problem). It is not the fault of Microsoft that the Dropbox development team cannot manage to do what the developers of literally every other program in my tray manages to do in Windows and keep the blasted icon where it's placed.

PRSchwob
New member | Level 2

You are not alone. This happens on my Win 10 machine as well.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?