cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Unspecified Error with MS Office

Windows 10 Unspecified Error with MS Office

AJBettencourt
New member | Level 2

I have a brand new HP desktop machine running Windows 10 and MS office 365.  I downloaded/installed the Dropbox app, logged in and synced everything "online only."  When I go to windows File Explorer and double click on an office file (Word doc, Excel spreadsheet or Powerpoint presentation) stored in DB, I get an error that simply says:  "[Path\filename] Unspecified Error."  I am able to open the file by launching the appropriate Office application, choosing "file", "open" and navigating that way.  I can copy a file to my desktop and open it from there.  I am also able to create an office document and save to a dropbox folder.  I have another PC and a laptop connected to this same dropbox and there are no such issues on those machines; simply double click the file in windows File Explorer, and it opens.  Other file types in Dropbox work fine.   I have read plenty of "work arounds," but cannot believe that I should have to resign myself to the fact that DB simply works on some computers but not others.  My volume of work is too high to rely on "work arounds."

I have put the computers connected to this DB side by side and compared every setting and they are identical.  I have uninstalled everything, including windows, to no avail.  DB chat support was useless, and phone support is non=existant, so I am hoping for a remedy here before moving the whole thing to Google Drive.

1 Reply 1

Re: Windows 10 Unspecified Error with MS Office

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @AJBettencourt, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, does the file open normally via the desktop app when you Smart Sync it as local? 

Also, do you have the Dropbox folder located on an internal drive? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?