cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Windows 10 and Ubuntu 19 dual boot: is it a good idea to have a shared partition with Dropbox on

Windows 10 and Ubuntu 19 dual boot: is it a good idea to have a shared partition with Dropbox on it?

Federicopvs
New member | Level 2

I am going to set up a Windows 10 and Ubuntu 19 dual boot. I was wondering if it would make sense to have a separate NTFS partition where I would put data I share between the two systems. Previously I used to share data between the two by having dropbox installed on both, however this means that I am in fact duplicating my dropbox folder.

Would it make sense to install Dropbox only on the shared partition? Could I set the instance of Dropbox that I will install on Win and the instance that I will install on Ubuntu to sync with the same folder? Or would this create conflicts?

Another option would be to have dropbox installed only on one system (eg Windows) and still access those files from Ubuntu - which, as far as I understand, can read and write NTFS partiitons quite well. However, this would mean that every time I modify a file from Ubuntu, Dropbox will not sync until I boot into Windows.

Has anyone tried something like this and have some suggestions?

1 Reply 1

Re: Windows 10 and Ubuntu 19 dual boot: is it a good idea to have a shared partition with Dropbox on

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Federicopvs,

Generally there are two scenarios. If You use virtual machine then the best is, without any additional Dropbox application install, to map host's Dropbox directory as a virtual drive to the virtual machine. If You want to use independent main OS-es (as seems Your choice is) then, did You try this workaround?

Hope this helps! :wink:

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?