cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 event log ID 281 ocurring since Jan 20th (DbxSvc CertFindCertificateInStore failed)

CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property.

keithfkelly
Helpful | Level 6

As  multiple other users have already reported over the last couple years, I am seeing many of these error events in my Windows 10 Event Viewer, all coming from the DbxSvc (Dropbox service) event source.

Can you all please fix your desktop client software to stop spamming my event logs with these errors?  This issue has dragged on far, far too long already.  Either stop emitting these errors, or fix the underlying problem.

Thank you.

75 Replies 75

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @keithfkelly, thanks for messaging the Community!

Have you tried an advanced reinstallation of the Dropbox desktop application to see if this helps?

Make sure to do this if you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

keithfkelly
Helpful | Level 6

But I am using a Dropbox Basic plan on more than 3 devices.  Does that mean I should not follow your instructions?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
If you attempt these steps, then it means you won't be able to sign into the Dropbox desktop application again on that device, since you're over the 3 device limit for Basic accounts.

We appreciate the feedback about the event viewer logs and have noted this on our system.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

keithfkelly
Helpful | Level 6

That sucks.  I just chose to let my 2TB subscription downgrade back to Basic because I don't use or need anywhere near that much space.  I see that's a common complaint/request in your community forums here, so perhaps your business strategists should get a clue and start offering a lower-storage, lower-cost paid tier for the millions of users like me.

td47
Helpful | Level 6

It looks like a DropBox certificate has exceeded its 367 day life, after 20th Jan 2021. I have a dozen or so of these since that date:

Log Name: Application
Source: DbxSvc
Date: 05/03/2021 15:56:04
Event ID: 281
Task Category: (4)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: TONY-PCW7
Description:
CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property.

Please fix these up in your next product update cycle.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @td47, thanks for posting today!

Could you try reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application, without uninstalling it first, using this link to see if this resolves the issue?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

td47
Helpful | Level 6

@JayMany thanks for the suggestion. I have done that, and have been monitoring for about 10 hours now. It DOES seem to have stopped those 281 errors, so if I do not see any ID 281 against DbxSvc, in a couple more days, I will mark this as a solution. While in the Event Viewer, I DID spot 107 Event ID 320 logs, all showing the same, from last November until today.NOTE: the re-install from your link was completed at 09:44 this morning.

"Source: DbxSvc    Date: 19/03/2021 17:21:23
Event ID: 320
Task Category: (3)
Level: Information
Computer: T*********

Description:
Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified. , retrying...  "

These things are probably NOT widely reported, as only Techies tend to look at the event logs, but anyway, if you feel a new post is best to doument the above, I will do that. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
We appreciate the feedback on this matter.

I'd recommend keeping the app up to date, if it doesn't upgrade automatically, to see if this helps with the event logs.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

td47
Helpful | Level 6

@JayFirstly, my Dropbox program DOES automatically update itself, so are you suggesting that somehow that the background auto-update is NOT robust, and does NOT do all the functions needed by an in-place update?

As stated, I need a couple more days before posting a resolved status, for the Event 281.

As regards the other events, the 320, would you prefer me to start another thread post?

Need more support?