cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 event log ID 281 ocurring since Jan 20th (DbxSvc CertFindCertificateInStore failed)

Windows 10 event log ID 281 ocurring since Jan 20th (DbxSvc CertFindCertificateInStore failed)

td47
Helpful | Level 6

It looks like a DropBox certificate has exceeded its 367 day life, after 20th Jan 2021. I have a dozen or so of these since that date:

Log Name: Application
Source: DbxSvc
Date: 05/03/2021 15:56:04
Event ID: 281
Task Category: (4)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: TONY-PCW7
Description:
CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property.

Please fix these up in your next product update cycle.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Windows 10 event log ID 281 ocurring since Jan 20th (DbxSvc CertFindCertificateInStore failed)

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @td47, thanks for posting today!

Could you try reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application, without uninstalling it first, using this link to see if this resolves the issue?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Re: Windows 10 event log ID 281 ocurring since Jan 20th (DbxSvc CertFindCertificateInStore failed)

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @td47, thanks for posting today!

Could you try reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application, without uninstalling it first, using this link to see if this resolves the issue?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

td47
Helpful | Level 6

@JayMany thanks for the suggestion. I have done that, and have been monitoring for about 10 hours now. It DOES seem to have stopped those 281 errors, so if I do not see any ID 281 against DbxSvc, in a couple more days, I will mark this as a solution. While in the Event Viewer, I DID spot 107 Event ID 320 logs, all showing the same, from last November until today.NOTE: the re-install from your link was completed at 09:44 this morning.

"Source: DbxSvc    Date: 19/03/2021 17:21:23
Event ID: 320
Task Category: (3)
Level: Information
Computer: T*********

Description:
Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified. , retrying...  "

These things are probably NOT widely reported, as only Techies tend to look at the event logs, but anyway, if you feel a new post is best to doument the above, I will do that. 

Jay
Dropboxer
We appreciate the feedback on this matter.

I'd recommend keeping the app up to date, if it doesn't upgrade automatically, to see if this helps with the event logs.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

td47
Helpful | Level 6

@JayFirstly, my Dropbox program DOES automatically update itself, so are you suggesting that somehow that the background auto-update is NOT robust, and does NOT do all the functions needed by an in-place update?

As stated, I need a couple more days before posting a resolved status, for the Event 281.

As regards the other events, the 320, would you prefer me to start another thread post?

Event ID 320 occurring regularly, Windows 10, with DropBox 118.4.460

td47
Helpful | Level 6

Even with the latest public version 118.4.460, I see regular Event ID 320 in the event log. Here is a typical one:

"Log Name: Application

Source: DbxSvc
Date: 19/03/2021 17:21:23
Event ID: 320
Task Category: (3)
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
Computer: T*********

Description: Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified. , retrying... "

There are NO sync issues in my account, and NO missing files, so I see this as a DRIVER FILE internal to the DbxSVC service API functionality, and NOT related to an actual file "sync" - despite the confusing error message.  Of course, you may have more info/tools on this at your disposal, so if there is any more information that I get for you to look into this further, please let me know.

Jay
Dropboxer
There are some apps that prevent the Dropbox desktop application from updating as it might affect their own program, or security restrictions. The auto-updater is blocked from updating for these reasons.

Regarding the events you're seeing, we appreciate the feedback on this matter and for bringing it to our attention. 

If any other issues occur please let me know.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

td47
Helpful | Level 6

@JayMy auto-updater is NOT blocked, as I see regular updates. As regards the event id 320 errors, I found an old post on this, dating back to 2017, where this is "by design"!!! Apparrently it is to do with the "Smart Sync Driver", that only business users and some premium users might have. So they designed the DbxSvc.exe to call the driver, and if no response, then they know it is not loaded, and therefore not in use.

DB developers were saying then (in 2017) that it is "by design" and that they do not intend to fix it.

Surely there is a better/smarter way to tell if the driver is active or loaded or not, rather then use a basic (seemingly crude) method that is currently coded, that triggers an error event in Windows. I would rather NOT have an event error in MY event log, that adds to the clutter already there, if it can be avoided! After all, the DriverView utility by Nir Sofer has been doing this since 2003!

Can anyone ask DB Devs if they intend to make their code Smarter, to match the Smart Sync driver, 4 years down the line??

Mmundell
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay,

I am having the same problem and I've tried to update the app but I still have the same error at the event log.

"CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property"

I didn't uninstall the app following the instructions just update the app, the current version is 120.4.4598

I appreciate your help.

Tks,

DemianLucis
Helpful | Level 5

Same here. 

Have this for langer time now and would like to get rid of it. 

I have had uninstalled it, re-installed it, and now just as suggested installed without uninstalling. Twice. Error still occurs.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

classic mesa New member | Level 2
    Stefan K.30 Explorer | Level 4
    DemianLucis Helpful | Level 5
    Mmundell New member | Level 2
    td47 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?