cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Onthe last few startups of my Windows 7 desktop, the EventViewer has shown the following error  and subsequent information logs as the error is corrected by Windows:

Record Number: X 95916
Log Type: Application
Event Type: Error
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 3
Event ID: 320

Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95931
Event Type: Information
Source: ESENT
Event ID: 300

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine is initiating recovery steps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95932
Event ID: 301

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has begun replaying logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS.log.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95933
Event ID: 302

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has successfully completed recovery steps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: i 95915
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 2
Event ID: 258

Pipe server thread started.

It seems as if the Dropbox service may be trying to start too soon as, after the initial error, Windows seems to be able to correct the problem and everything works correctly.  This is a very recent happening and I cannot relate the change to any system changes.  Is there anything I can do to stop the error - if I didn't regularly check the Event Viewer I would be none the wiser so perhaps I'm being too sensitive.

Thanks.

254 Replies 254

glatzfront
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Maybe dbx.sys is installed on Androids and not needed for windows, with the reg key and what ever is pointing to it, is left?

Maybe it was used in a an earlier version, with the reg key and what ever is pointing to it, is left?

Dropbox is a popular program, if it were missing a needed driver, wouldn't others be posting about problems?

I search for this driver online (a little) and found nothing.

Dropbox must know about this and obviously is not concerned.

orion44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@glatzfront wrote:

Dropbox must know about this and obviously is not concerned.

Yes, Dropbox has achieved full omnipotency and is aware of this issue.  This thread can now be deleted and all future errors ignored.

Sting M.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The problem started occurring on October 27th, 2016 on my Windows 10 machine.

That appears to correspond to when 13.4.21 was installed on my notebook. The error message in the event viewer occurs on every single reboot.

Note: I do not have dropbox set to automatically start during the boot process. The error occurs even though dropbox is not starting.

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi glatzfront,

Glad you have resolved your Task Scheduler problem and good of you to share your resolution.  Let's hope Dropbox sort out the Event Viewer error soon as it has been going on since the end of October and posters on this thread have provided possible clues - Dropbox seem to be ignoring the thread and have not responded here, a poor show I feel.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi all,

Quick update to let you know our team is investigating this. I'll share updates as soon as I hear back from them.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

glatzfront
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@glatzfront wrote:

@thorhebegod wrote:
Same problem here.
Autoruns (sysinternals) complains of missing dbx.sys in windows/system32/drivers.

It is missing indeed, can this be the problem?

This could be it? But would still have to find what is calling this key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\dbx

Unchecking it wont correct the error

Event viewer error: EventID 320 DbxSvc (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.
Reg entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\dbx

I think the cause of this error IS NOT the Autoruns entry (dbx, Dropbox Mini-Filter Driver, File not found: system32\DRIVERS\dbx.sys).

I created an empty dbx.sys file for system32\DRIVERS and after rebooting the Autoruns entry was not present but the Event viewer error was present.

vkapartzianis
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The error is "Failed to connect to the driver". The only driver that Dropbox installs is the "Dropbox Mini-Filter Driver". This driver is not installed correctly. Creating empty files will not help in correct installation of the driver.

orion44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Luke, Dec 12, 12:53 AM PST:

I’ve gathered the details about this issue and shared them with our engineering team.

I’ll follow their work closely and update you as soon as there’s more information available, whether that’s further troubleshooting steps for you or info about a fix from the engineering team.

And, honestly, thanks for reporting this problem. We work hard to make Dropbox the best it can be, but we can only get so far; we need customers like you to tell us when something goes wrong.

Regards,
Luke

orion44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You can email updates to Dropbox Support directly at  <support+id5145689@dropbox.zendesk.com>  This email address will route your message to the ticket entered for this isue.

glatzfront
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@vkapartzianis wrote:

The error is "Failed to connect to the driver". The only driver that Dropbox installs is the "Dropbox Mini-Filter Driver". This driver is not installed correctly. Creating empty files will not help in correct installation of the driver.

It wasn't posted as a fix, it was a test

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

katnappa Explorer | Level 3
    Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    Kester Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?