cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 - Cannot Install Dropbox Desktop Client

Windows 8.1 - Cannot Install Dropbox Desktop Client

Phil B.1
New member | Level 2

I'm running WIndows 8.1 on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. Dropbox was running without issue but stopped. I could not uninstall as I was getting an NSIS Installer Error when I went to uninstall. I have since uninstalled it but cannot reinstall. When I launch the installer it goes through the unpacking progress bar and then disappears. Nothing happens. No error message. I can install it using the Run As Admin but then it only works until I reboot the PC and disappears on reboot.

Can anyone help?

10 Replies 10

Re: Windows 8.1 - Cannot Install Dropbox Desktop Client

Michael C.8
New member | Level 1

I have an issue as you and had to run as administrator , right click dropbox icon in start menu and click run as administrator.
cant work out how to run as logged in user yet. good luck

Ian R.4
New member | Level 1

I have same problem Win 8.1 PC, have to right click Run As Administrator to start can sync files then it closes itself down and disappears. Also have issue with Go to My PC for remote desktop access...I think they may be connected?

Gerline F.
New member | Level 1

I also have the same problem. I try to install Dropbox 3.0.5, and it tells me that installation failed. I'm using Windows 8.1 on a Dell Inspiron 7347.

Ray S.6
New member | Level 1

Had the same issue - it only installable when executed as admin. Same for starting it when windows starts (autostart folder) - even with compatibility option 'run as admin' at the link's properties.
My user has admin rights, I am the only user on this computer (home setup).
Dropbox 3.0.5, desktop version.
Windows 8.1
Surface Pro 3, i7, 8GB, 512GB.
User: user@hotmail.com (verification thing)

Morgan P.2
New member | Level 1

I am having the same issue. When i e-mailed dropbox they replied saying," ... we receive many request and can not answer them all. please check the forums for any assistance...". No help from Dropbox on this issue

Jamie M.23
New member | Level 1

I had the same issue happen to me. It turned out to be a corrupted registry entry in HKEY_USERS{SID}\Software\Dropbox. I had to take ownership of the keys and manually delete them 1 by 1. Upon doing so I was able to install cleanly and everything is back to normal. Hope this helps.

NOTE: If you're not fully familiar with working with your registry, be careful in there.

Obadiah M.
New member | Level 1

Jamie,

I am having the same problem. Could you kindly direct me on how to go about this?

Thanks.

Ian R.4
New member | Level 1

updating my laptop to win 10 has sorted it!

Obadiah M.
New member | Level 1

likewise!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Joseph L.26 New member | Level 1
    Obadiah M. New member | Level 1
    Ian R.4 New member | Level 1
    Jamie M.23 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?