cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Dropbox REGULARLY stops syncing my photos

Windows Dropbox REGULARLY stops syncing my photos

Gayent
Explorer | Level 4
  1. When I go to choose a photo, for example, from windows, I cant find the most recent ones. The only way I have found to fix it is to run dropboxinstaller.exe AGAIN. This happens on a regular basis and I would like to know how to fix it.
  2. MOST of the photos that HAVE been synced across all my folders don't show in the thumbnail so I cant choose photos to work with

thank you for your help

7 Replies 7

Re: Windows Dropbox REGULARLY stops syncing my photos

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Gayent, I'd be happy to help look into this with you. 

Are you having trouble finding files in your File Explorer after you upload them to the website and wait for them to sync? 

If so, hover over the Dropbox icon (that's next to your computer's clock) and let me know what the status shows. 

Also, are any of the files you're not seeing the thumbnail for Smart Synced as online-only by any chance? 

Check these out and let me know what you find, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Gayent
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks @Lusil,

1 - my photos are NOT automatically uploading until I reinstal dropbox. 

2 - status is Up To Date 

3 - the files the photos are in are Local and some photos are showing thumbnails and some are not

Lusil
Dropboxer

I see, could you follow steps and see if they do the trick?

• Click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  • Go to the avatar icon that's on the top right.
  • Choose Preferences...
  • On the Account tab, click anywhere in the window under the tab and hold down the 'Alt+H' keys.
  • Select on Fix Hardlinks.

If that doesn't work, repeat the same steps, but then choose Fix Permissions.

Try that out and let me know if it helps. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Gayent
Explorer | Level 4

Is that to fix the thumbnails of the uploading to Windows Explorer?

Lusil
Dropboxer

This is mainly to try and resolve the issue you're having with your files not syncing correctly. 

As for the thumbnails, just for troubleshooting purposes, could you try making a file online-only, right-clicking on it, and then syncing it again as local? 

If you don't have Smart Sync as an option, let me know. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Gayent
Explorer | Level 4

Just an extra question - how quickly should a photo sync to file explorer after being taken if I am sitting AT the computer?

AND

I switched an album to Online only and the thumbnails returned with a cloud on them

then when I opened a picture up it now has no thumbnail and the green tick like before.

then I changed it back to Local only and it is working for now - I have done this same procedure in the past but eventually it goes back to not being able to see the picture

I have tried both Fix Hardlinks and Fix Permission and I will keep an eye on it for a bit.

I also notice that if I open drop box on my phone and drag down from the top (samsung) THEN it syncs the photos to  dropbox on my phone I will check the time frame to the computer tomorrow thank you so much for your help

Lusil
Dropboxer

The speed depends on various factors, like your connection and the size of the files, so I'm not able to say how fast it should be done. 

Do keep an eye out though, and whenever you have any updates for us, just give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?