cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Update makes Dropbox Incompatible

Windows Update makes Dropbox Incompatible

bestrader
Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

I installed the dropbox app on my work computer so that I could do an occasional backup of all my work files. Today, I started up my work computer (after shutting down and doing Windows Update yesterday as I was leaving) and the icon showed as a deleted app.  I clicked the icon, and it said Dropbox is no longer compatible. 

I'm guessing it's due to Windows switching to 64bit and no longer supporting 32bit apps, which leads to my next question: when will there be a 64bit app/fix for this issue? 

I tried to install Dropbox again, but it failed.

5 Replies 5

Re: Windows Update makes Dropbox Incompatible

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @bestrader, thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to our Community!

Can you please send me a screenshot of the exact error you get when trying to install our latest, stable version of the desktop app?

Thanks!

PS: For a 64-bit version of the desktop app on Windows devices, you can upvote this idea to show your interest. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bestrader
Explorer | Level 3

Here's all I get when I try to install again: https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Public/dropbox%20fail.png?role=personal

I can't uninstall because the uninstaller is gone or damaged or corrupted.

I can't delete the Dropbox folder from Program Files (x86) because it's in the "power shell" and used by Windows.  The app itself is gone.

I'm kinda confused about your "PS", I paid over $200 for dropbox and it's 2021 -- I fought over 64bit versions of plugins like 10 years ago, do I really still have to do that today? I am both shocked and appalled at the fact that you expect me to vote in a poll for something that should already exist. No offense intended but effing wow. 

Thanks for the help with the app not working. Hoping to solve it because my hard drive at work seems to be on the way out!

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @bestrader, this appears to be a link to your own Dropbox account, which can't be previewed by anyone except yourself when logged into your own account. 

Could you attach a shared link to the image, or upload it to the forum using the camera icon in your reply?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bestrader
Explorer | Level 3

It's now an issue and impacting my entire work system. Dropbox can't be reinstalled or uninstalled. Now Office 365 isn't working anymore. Dropbox can't be deleted because it still has dll files that are active in the Windows shell and can't be stopped. System restore can't be done because Dropbox disables them, the restore points are subsequently damaged and deleted.  

dropbox.png

Not having a good time here and need to be able to use my computer for work. I do not have time for much more troubleshooting. There's either a way to wipe Dropbox off the system completely, or there isn't. 

The issue has gone to the point where I no longer am concerned about whether I can use Dropbox, I now need to make my work computer function properly and get Dropbox off of this system. 

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the info, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly for further assistance on this matter.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    bestrader Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?