cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Update removing Dropbox settings

Windows Update removing Dropbox settings

LloydRobinson99
New member | Level 2

On two occasions of late Windows 10 updates have completely removed all my Dropbox settings on an Asus Notebook.  Effectively once I restart Dropbox asks to be set up and wants to create a new Dropbox folder and ignores the existing Dropbox folder in the specofic location I want.  I cannot make the Dropbox system use the existing folder.  I have ended up creating a folder named "Dropbox Original",  then deleting the old Dropbox folder.  After this I can generally change the location to be the location I want, then move all the fils from the 'Dropbox Original' folder.  All of which can take hours for the system to be back synchronised. 

My Dropbox set up in on an Asus Notebook and 2 x PC's which are effectively being synchronised to each other, and to the Dropbox Cloud System.  

My question is as much one of why does a Microsoft Update affect my Dropbox system, as well as why are all my personal settings removed.

Lloyd Robinson

Another pronlem, uncoonnected to Dropbox is that all my Office applications are all  annoyingly 'cleared'!!!

moving EVERY file to it, then allowing Dropbox to create the new folder location and then amending it to look at  

3 Replies 3

Re: Windows Update removing Dropbox settings

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @LloydRobinson99,

Just to gather a little more info on the situation, can you let me know the current version of the desktop app you have installed? 

It seems potentially that the new updates to the OS caused the desktop app to become unlinked from your account or is recognised as a new device which seems strange indeed. Could you perhaps check your Security page online and let me see if you notice anything strange there in terms of the linked devices you currently have?

Do you notice the same behaviour across your other devices also or is it just this one device? This extra info will help to narrow down our troubleshooting a bit so anything else you might think to be relevant will also be appreciated.

Finally just to note, when a desktop app becomes unlinked, when you sign back into the app and are choosing how to sync the files, you should see an option for “Advanced Settings”. From there you can choose the Dropbox folder location to link it to your current one.

Looking forward to hearing back from you - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LloydRobinson99
New member | Level 2

Daphne

I thought I had resplyed to your message but perhaps I forgot to hit REPLY!!

The version of Dropbox is 76.3.110.  I have run through the Security Check.  THe other PC's linked to this Dropbox account do not seem to be udating Windows in the same manner as the Lenovo Laptop whoich is where the problem has occured.  I have noted an issue in that they do not appear to be synchronising together so I have just rebooted one of them and will do the other in a few minutes and report back on this.

Lloyd 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update there! It seems you’re running a beta version of the desktop app so at this point I would recommend to use the most recent stable version instead to see if this resolves the issue for you.

First you will need to go to your account settings page here and towards the bottom of the web page, toggle off the option for “Early releases”.

Then you can download the latest stable version from our website here and then proceed with installing the app. 

I’ll be looking forward to your update - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?