cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows explorer not responding when opening dropbox files with preview pane turned on

Windows explorer not responding when opening dropbox files with preview pane turned on

ralwin
Explorer | Level 3

I am using the latest versions of Windows 10, Dropbox for desktop and Office 365. 

When preview pane is turned on and I am trying to open word and excel files the file explorer stops responding and I have to kill the process in task manager.

This only happens when the preview pane is on and with office documents (word, excel).

Other types of documents (pdf, txt files) seem to open OK.

Any reason for this or is there a solution other than turning preview pane off? 

4 Replies 4

Re: Windows explorer not responding when opening dropbox files with preview pane turned on

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @ralwin, thanks for posting today!

Does this only occur on files located in the Dropbox folder?

What happens if the Dropbox desktop application is closed completely, does the preview pane work normally?

This will help me assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Windows explorer not responding when opening dropbox files with preview pane turned on

ralwin
Explorer | Level 3
It only occurs in the Dropbox folders.
Other non-dropbox folders operate normally when opening files.
Also, opening the Dropbox files from within the application (word, excel) is normal.
It seems to be an issue with the combination of Dropbox+Preview pane together.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi there @ralwin; I'm sorry to jump in here, but have you tried re-installing both our desktop application and your MS Office ones to see if that improves matters at all?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ralwin
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for your reply.
Yes I did reinstall dropbox and office. Have also upgraded Windows latest version.
The issue did resolve itself for a short time but then the problem reoccurred.
There was an another post with the same issue (search “preview pane”) but no answer.
My only workaround is to turn off the preview pane.
Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?