Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Windows explorer/save files slow (not upload)

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm finding that Dropbox is making windows explorer slow, even when up to date. I'm also finding that saving evan a a tiny file or creating a directory within dropbox is painfully slow (10-60 seconds). Exiting Dropbox makes everything respond quickly. I often have to exit dropbox, do some work, then restart dropbox afterwards.

I have about 140K files and 120Gb on dropbox. 

I have no problems with upload speeds, even for large files. 

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: Windows explorer/save files slow (not upload)

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @jfsavage, sorry to hear that. 

As a first step, could you please check out this article and have a look at the suggestions mentioned? Maybe they will provide some insight on the matter. 

If you’re still having trouble with this even after that though, don’t hesitate to get back to me. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

None of the suggestions seem applicable. It's possible there's a conflict with another tool, but I'm not running anything unusual; Windows 10 with Windows Defender. I'm well under the 300K files. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me on this, @jfsavage

I’ve sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile, so please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Cheers!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

My file Explorar is too slow using dropbox on latest windows 10.. when I exit Dropbox everything comes back to normal.. I am on 3970X with 64 gb ram. I have also Done clean advance uninstall and reinstall 2 times so far.. No luck!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Dollmaker, thanks for nudging us on this thread - let's see what we can do. 

Since you've already tried an advanced reinstall - great work by the way! - could you also try the following steps in the exact order listed?

1. Click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Go to the gear in the Notifications panel.
  3. Select Preferences...
  4. Navigate to the Account tab.
  5. Click anywhere in the window under the tab.
  6. Hold down the Space key.
  7. Click on the Fix Hardlinks button.
  8. You may be asked for your computer's login credentials.
  9. Wait a bit to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.
  10. If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, please repeat steps 1-5, but at step 6, click on the Fix Permissions button, instead. 

Let me know how it goes - thanks!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi  Lusil..Thanks for your reply..  It did not work.. I tried both things..restared..  windows explorar is very slow.. no luck.. 3970x, 64 gb ram, windows 10..

Another thing is it wont index last few files after freash install saying 0 kbps and 2+ days wait time which is strange as i have 200 mbps connection.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for trying those out for me, @Dollmaker

After you completed these steps, did you also reboot the computer by any chance? 

If you did and you're still having trouble with this, could you send me a screenshot of what you see when you hover over your Dropbox icon (that's next to you computer's clock)? 

Keep me posted - thanks!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi yes rebooted.. File Explorar Lag is still there.. so not sure what to do now.. :(

Regarding indexing issue.. its still there.. followed both steps like u said before.. here is the screenshot.. thanks for your time..Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info, @Dollmaker

I'd be happy to have a more in-depth look into this with you via email, but before I do, could you also clarify if you have:

• Your Dropbox folder on an external hard drive or a server? 
  • More than 300,000 files in your Dropbox folder?

Let me know what you find - thanks again!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?