cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows was unable to find...

Windows was unable to find...

Charles A.9
New member | Level 1

I want to share a folder. I opened the form entitled "choose people to share with." I entered the e-mail address of the person with whom I wished to share the folder. I received an error message which said "Windows was unable to find XXXXX@XXXXX.EDU

I checked that I had entered the address correctly. I tried the process with others in the group. Always the same message. What am I doing wrong?

6 Replies 6

Re: Windows was unable to find...

Rich
Super User II

Are you following the steps as outlined here?

Charles A.9
New member | Level 1

Yup. It's when I get to step 4 and enter the e-mail addresses that I get the error message quoted above in my initial post.

GraDot W.
New member | Level 1

I installed dropbox on 3 windows c0mputers. with the same email address/account (@hotmail.com), and successfully shared a folder with 1 3rd party (@gmail.com).

I unlinked on one computer (windows 7) and then re-linked under a different email address (@outlook.com) and put folders into the dropbox folder again..

I then tried right-click-share a folder on this new setup, sharing with both my original hotmail account and the 3rd party, and got the stupid "windows cannot find.." message onn all. In the middle of this, one attempt to share one folder with my original account gave a different "new editor" window and that shared successfully - and my other account received the share invite email. I dont know where this "new editor" window came from - i only vaguely remember that it happened)

I rebooted the computer - no help. Dropbox on that computer is unusable. Sorry, i have limited time to play with this .

Duncan K.
New member | Level 1

same problem as Charles A. & GraDot W., pls help.

Fergal K.
New member | Level 1

Same thing that is happening Charles is happening to me also.  Does anyone know if there is a solution?

Charles A.9
New member | Level 1

There is a solution. Sharing from the DropBox web site using your browser is easy and works just fine. It is when you try to share from the program installed on your computer that you run into this problem. Go to the DropBox home page. Sign in. A list of your files comes up. Place the cursor over the file you wish to share. On the extreme right of that line, a "share" button shows up. Click that button and follow the on-screen directions.

Hope this helps.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Charles A.9 New member | Level 1
    Fergal K. New member | Level 1
    Duncan K. New member | Level 1
    GraDot W. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?