cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't connect/start up

Won't connect/start up

J H.10
New member | Level 1

Dropbox 3.2.6 on Windows 7

Hovering over icon in system tray, it just says "connecting" and never does. File I updated last night still not synced today.

Clicking on the icon, box pops up and says "Dropbox is starting." It doesn't

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Won't connect/start up

Joshua F.5
New member | Level 1

Guys I was able to resolve this issue on my own, Dropbox support (even the paid support) was no help what so ever. I will put the steps I took to resolve this below. These are the steps that worked for me, I am not responsible for any data loss if you attempt to use the steps below. 

1. I saved a local copy of everything in my Dropbox to my desktop
  2. Uninstalled Dropbox while logged in as the main user profile that was affected using control panel programs and features, also uninstalled Dropbox setup (may not exist for some of you)
  3. Deleted the Dropbox folder from my (the affected) user profile and from any other users profiles. Its located here: C:\Users\YourUserName\Dropbox
  4. Deleted all Dropbox folders from subfolders in the AppData folder here: C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData Local, LocalLow and Roaming and deleted the Dropbox folders from there. Also do this for the other user profiles on the computer. 
  5. Went into regedit and deleted anything named Dropbox (the program doesn't exist anymore so removing these files shouldnt harm anything and the install should replace these files)
  6. Deleted Dropbox folder from C:\Program Files(x86)\ (if uninstaller doesn't delete)
  7. Created a new user by right clicking on computer > manage > Local Users and Groups > added a new user named dropbox (only temporary) added that user to the Local Administrator Group
  8. Rebooted computer and logged into the temporary dropbox user
  9. Downloaded and installed Dropbox, made sure the "login" window came up asking for email and password (this was huge, this window wouldn't come up for me when simply uninstalling and reinstalling on the affected profile)
  10. Went to switch user, logged in as my primary user account
  11. Opened up Dropbox (didn't auto launch) the login window came up!
  12. Put in my credentials and Dropbox successfully launched! 

UPDATE: I have now successfully used the above steps on 3 other computers and resolved the issue on all 3, I hope this works for everyone having the same issue! No clue what caused it in the first place... 

View solution in original post

John R.61
New member | Level 1

Dropbox preferences, select the proxies button. Then select 'No Proxy' instead of  the default 'Auto-detect'. Then click "Apply" and Ok, then reset the program.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Tof D.
New member | Level 1

exactly the same problem. Files added locally won't upload. Dropbox hangs on "connecting"

Mark J.25
New member | Level 1

Same problem here. Dropbox says Connecting but never gets there on Win 7 fresh install

J H.10
New member | Level 1

It is finally back up. I simply had to click the icon in my system tray, click the "settings" wheel, and select "exit dropbox." I then restarted my computer and, voila!

Vahid B.
New member | Level 1

Exact same issue with freshly installed windows 7. Already checked all firewall settings. The Dropbox is added to the exceptions in antivirus (Kaspersky internet security), Still stuck in "Connecting"

susan f.17
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem and it looks like no one else on here knows anything either????? Does Dropbox have no support....now I'm wishing I didn't upgrade to Dropbox business at 99.00 a year. Now no support...yikes...bad customer service??

Joshua F.5
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem as well on multiple machines. I've emailed Dropbox off of my account and off of a pro users account who is also having this issue(hoping for a faster response time). Troubleshooting steps I've tried include:

• uninstalling dropbox > rebooting > deleting dropbox from program files > deleting anything dropbox from "local" "locallow" and "roaming" > deleting the registry keys > rebooting > re-installing  client acts like it was never uninstalled, still has my info in somehow????? then goes right to connecting
  • disabling firewall and antivirus, no change, still stuck at connecting
  • resetting IE settings (has worked for me in the past, probably proxy settings) no change.
  • changing auto proxy settings to no proxy and then back, no change.

I'm at a complete loss and Dropbox continues to send me canned responses, even on the paid user's account... 

-Update: when re-installing Dropbox, after completing "installing dropbox" the window disappears as well as the start bar its almost as if explorer.exe crashes?

This is ridiculous!

Joshua F.5
New member | Level 1

BIG GIANT BUMP WE NEED AN ANSWER.

Sheri E.
New member | Level 1

I had this problem for a while after updating/installing McAfee. I had to add Dropbox to the "whitelist" of approved sites and it worked. I believe I had to approve the Dropbox application that ran in the background, not simply the website. It's been a few months and I don't remember the details anymore.

If you're running McAfee, you can do a Google search on McAfee and Dropbox to find out how to fix the problem.

Joshua F.5
New member | Level 1

Thank you, I appreciate the input but I've completely disabled my antivirus (which is Webroot) and it still doesn't connect. This tells me that it has nothing to do with the AV. I've also stopped my firewall at the same time and still no luck, its nothing on my end blocking the connection its something corrupt with the install, especially since I cant fully uninstall it EVEN though I delete everything related to Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

OsmanG New member | Level 2
    Mariam N. New member | Level 1
    John R.61 New member | Level 1
    Hugo T.1 New member | Level 1
    Michael L.38 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?