cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word Wrap Long File Names

Word Wrap Long File Names

Jeffrey G.5
New member | Level 2

I am tracking over 100 legal cases. A number of these cases contain thousands of filings each and contain hierarchically embedded proceedings, appeals, and other information. I manually name each (mostly PDF) file following a naming convention I devised to make locating and identifying specific files efficient and understandable when searching from a Mac/PC display. (Life does not solely revolve around smartphones and tablets.

Drop Box fails to provide a means to word wrap long file names when using a web browser to view folders, sub-folders, and conduct searches. This is a huge limitation. I provide links to many folders & related files as a courtesy to over 2,000 individuals defrauded as part of an elaborate Ponzi scheme. Many of these folks are elderly and have a difficult time navigating around a computer without having to manually open and view every single file in a linked folder.

Neither do I have the time to second guess which file is which because the developers haven't integrated word-wrap into their web code. I find this frustrating and unacceptable, especially when dealing with long lists of files with long file names.

I appreciate that we can mouseover a filename and a popup with word-wrap will appear to display the entire file name, however, (1) it's counterintuitive, and (2) cumbersome to wait for and use.

What what will it take for Dropbox to integrate and enable long file name word wrap display natively in its web interface and eliminate the unnecessary mouseover actions?

5 Replies 5

Re: Word Wrap Long File Names

Craig L.
New member | Level 1

Yes, file names need to be long in many instances, very time consuming to hover over the file to identify it .

looking forward to a change .

Jeffrey G.5
New member | Level 2

I assume you are talking about a software app called "[app name removed]"?  Do you work for the company? Because it sounds like you did not read or bother to try to comprehend my original post, which I find offensive.

Aside from the fact that "[app name removed]" is primarily a Windows application; you fail to state how you propose to use the tool to provide informative file names displayed coherently in Dropbox's web interface without destroying the existing directory and file naming structure? Please. I'm all ears.

The issue, as I have already tried to explain, is that I have a broad, mostly unsophisticated audience, who will want to be able to identify the the purpose and meaning of files based on a standardized naming convention that will not be well served by destroying their existing file links after implementing the "fix" that you are suggesting.

Or perhaps I misunderstood, and you are saying that you are willing to step up and actually pay several paralegals for their time and effort to rename over 120,000 files, then contact the 2,000+ reader-base and explain why they (1) can no longer find files where they once were, and (2) why they are unable to figure out which files they should be looking at?

[For the benefit of the Dropbox devs, If a case contains, for example, 200 Motions (I'm tracking cases that have between 1,500 and 4,000 filings), how does a viewer determine which motion is relevant to their particular interests, or how do they follow a chain of case filings relevant to a particular motion or event? A date code combined with the word "Motion" does not contain sufficient information to be useful. A date code combined with the word "Motion" and a short explanation does. But if you have numerous cases, and sub-cases (hearings, appeals, remands, etc.), all residing under a particular matter, both file and path names can become long, out of necessity, to preserve coherence; much longer than the 55 character length filename output that Dropbox currently provides from its web interface.]

So, no, "[app name removed]" is deficient in all respects. it does not even come close to providing a Dropbox built solution that Dropbox will have to implement a coded solution for.

Nice try!

Rich
Super User II

Jeffrey, that was just a spam post that made it through the filters. They pop up often and with nearly the exact same content. I've deleted the post and removed any references to the application.

cellomellowman
Helpful | Level 5

I live in the web interface and also use long file names.  Frustrating to not be able to see the full file name, and with SO much white space to the left and to the right.  Long file names could easily be expanded into that space.  Surely, wrapping the file name is also a solution.

At work we use BOX and there's no such limitation.  Long file names are nicely wrapped.

neko1130
Explorer | Level 4

This may be the solution for the time being: I have Google Chrome as my web broswer, and when I zoom out to 80% on my Dropbox page (web interface of course), I am able to see long file names. Strangely enough, this doesn't affect my viewing of other webpages, as they stay with the regular 100%. Just found out about this yesterday. Hope this helps.

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

neko1130 Explorer | Level 4
    cellomellowman Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    Jeffrey G.5 New member | Level 2
    Craig L. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?