cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Work NOT saved and Word freezes

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

This has happened twice to me today! Any help/advice would be appreciated.

I'm a team member on a large Dropbox Business account, with thousands of shared files. I selectively sync to my desktop, and use the desktop client when viewing and modifying files. 

Under most circumstances, synced files easily open, modify, and then are saved (e.g. when I hit save in Word) with the modifications to the synced folder where others can access them.

Today, when working with large Word files, I habitually hit 'save' about every 5-10 minutes. When I did this, my desktop icon would change to the 'syncing' icon for a few seconds, then say that the files were updated. 

However, at two instances during the day, Word froze (I'm running OSX Yosemite) with all files going blank and no commands or even filebars accessible. Sometimes the files would say there was some type of Dropbox error (I don't recall the language). The only recourse was to Force Quit Word. After the Force Quit, Word was not able to retrieve a recovery copy, and, most disturbingly, when I re-accessed the files on my desktop OR web-browser Dropbox, they recorded NONE of the changes that I had made during the entire session when I had the documents open - in some cases, MULTIPLE hours of work. Poof, gone.

HELP?!

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Work NOT saved and Word freezes

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same thing is still happening with Dropbox on Mac Sierra. Frequently freezes Word and does not save the Word doc when saving to a Dropbox folder in Finder. It has never happened when saving to any folder outside of Dropbox. It has been happeing for the pas 6 months or so and Microsoft engineers cannot figure out what it is. So any work done before it's saved is lost.a

Highlighted

Re: Work NOT saved and Word freezes

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey ldropsnow, thanks for posting us on the Forum, let’s have a look on the possible causes together & we’ll take it from there! 

For starters, are you working on a Business account, as Valerie mentioned above? Can you relay the steps you’re following, so as to see if I can reproduce on my end? 

That is, I’m assuming that you’re running the latest Stable Build (51.4.66) on your Mac, as well as the latest Word version. If not, can you please let me know more about your configuration? 

Do you have any pending OS updates by any chance? 

Once I have this additional info, I’ll do my best to check back with you. Thanks & I’ll be awaiting your next message! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?