cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Timestamp (+7hrs in future)

Wrong Timestamp (+7hrs in future)

Jennifer B.32
New member | Level 1

When I update my files at home (online WinXP Firefox), the timestamp of my update is +7hrs in the future. I have gone to settings and tried both auto detect and manual time zone and the issue persists with either setting. My work computer (Win7) and my Tablet (Galaxy Tab S) both work as they should in regards to the timestamp. I am concerned that if I work at home, then go to work and work says I updated in the past vs. the future date from home, will my files become corrupted or have some kind of error?

10 Replies 10

Re: Wrong Timestamp (+7hrs in future)

ohnoplus
Explorer | Level 4

Did you ever manage to resolve this problem? I am experiencing this issue as well.

Rich
Super User II
Make sure the time and timezone are both set correctly on your computer (not just in your Dropbox account online).

ohnoplus
Explorer | Level 4

They are, and this happens on two different computers. I am noticing this problem when I modify files with MS Word online.

ohnoplus
Explorer | Level 4

Also. This is only a problem if I save to Dropbox. If I save to OneDrive, it gives the correct time stamp.

apraetor
Super User

This is was a known problem with Windows XP: different applications querying the current time would come up with different values. It's moot now, since Dropbox dropped XP support entirely, though.

gjsa
New member | Level 2

It's not an OS issue. The time displayed in Dropbox is wrong immediately after saving the file in Excel Online and clicking <Save and return to Dropbox>.

My timezone is GMT+11.  But Dropbox web portal shows GMT+0 for the actual file attributes:

Weirdly, the version history for the file in Dropbox web portal shows the correct time based on timezone set for the Dropbox user account:

apraetor
Super User

That it's occurring online doesn't mean it cannot be an OS-related issue. You are using Windows XP -- if your browser queries the OS to determine the current time and timezone it may get different results each time. That info is how the Dropbox and other websites determine your timezone for localization (aside from asking you directly, as some do.. but not Dropbox).

If that info is wrong or inconsistent then the web-based results will reflect that. I suggest trying to reproduce the issue using a supported operating system so we can eliminate potential variables. That's the biggest and easiest one to get out of the way. 

Kevin M.33
Explorer | Level 4

This has been happening for a while on my Windows 10 machine as well.  When I save an Office file on my computer and it is synced up to Dropbox, the date/time is fine.  When I then edit the file in Word/Excel online, the date/time changes to UTC (7 or 8 hours off depending on if it's daylight savings time or not).  The time is incorrect both on the Dropbox website, and on the synced file on my computer.  I edit the file again with Office on my computer and the time is corrected.  My timezone is set properly both in Dropbox and in Windows; UTC-8 (Pacific).

This does not happen when I modify files in OneDrive either.

apraetor
Super User

I suspect you are going to have to talk to Office 365 tech support if you want them to have engineering do anything about this. It sounds like expected behavior -- the files are reflecting the time zone of the computer doing the editing. Most servers run on UTC; when you edit a file in Office 365 you are, in effect, editing it on the webserver, not your local PC. When the webserver returns the file to Dropbox it needs to be passing along the time data in your local time, not in UTC. Without that info Dropbox has no way of knowing that it's displaying the wrong last-edited time.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mepat218 New member | Level 2
    apraetor Super User
    Kevin M.33 Explorer | Level 4
    gjsa New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?