cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Zip files will not open... 'invalid'.

Zip files will not open... 'invalid'.

ravenmb
Explorer | Level 4

Hello!

I'm having a problem with zipped files from Dropbox.  Apparently, it's only affecting folders.  In a nut shell, I'm operating on a mac.  I upload video files, ranging from 1GB-10GB's in size, for my clients to download. I share hundreds of these videos each year.  I was with another service but decided to switch to Dropbox recently.  

Now, after I upload a video file or two to a folder for one of my clients, once downloaded... by myself or my client... doesn't matter if it's MAC or PC or Safari or Chrome or Firefox, etc., we all get the error message the zipped file can not be opened and is 'incomplete' or 'invalid'.  

Now, if I send a download link for an individual file, no problems.  Of course, that way, it's not zipped.  But if there's multile files, that can be a pain to copy and paste every link for each individual file within any given folder.  

I read other threads about this problem and they've been labeled 'solved' after some 'updates' by Dropbox.  But this certainly has not been my experience.  

This issue virtually renders my whole purpose for using Dropbox counterproductive.  

What is the problem with zipped folders?!

Any help would be appreciated.  

17 Replies 17

ravenmb
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, that's not clear at all.  Basically, you have to eventually get to the point on the support page where you can send them an email.   Sending an email to Dropbox support will create a ticket. 

Norah
Dropbox Staff

Hi jnpg, welcome to Dropbox Community!

As I would like to help you further, I followed up via email in order to continue troubleshooting with all our tools available. 

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jildo
Explorer | Level 3

I am waiting for an answer as well. Using the desktop client is not an option.

Rich
Super User II

@jildo wrote:

I am waiting for an answer as well. Using the desktop client is not an option.

Have you contacted Support by opening a ticket yet?

jildo
Explorer | Level 3
I need to use files by tonight. Ticket won’t help. This problem is listed numerous times on dropboxforum with no answer which is disheartening.

ravenmb
Explorer | Level 4

It is frustrating this hasn't been addressed... almost mind-boggling.  It's such an important step in downloading files (zip's).  For them to not open on a MAC computer, which 1 in 3 people use, seems crazy.  At least letting it go this long.  Look forward to a solution one day.  

jildo
Explorer | Level 3
I’m using a Surface w Windows 10 so go figure.

ravenmb
Explorer | Level 4

Oh, wow!  So this is a zip problem across the board?  PC & MAC?!  Even more perplexing as to how Dropbox has not come up with a solution. 

Need more support?