cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup and sync from 3rd party server to my dropbox account

backup and sync from 3rd party server to my dropbox account

Mikeytres
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I currently have dropbox plus and I use it on both my laptop and mobile. I have recently built a database and website which is hosted by a 3rd party. I would like to backup that website and database to my dropbox account without having to install my account on this 3rd party's server, I would also like this backup to run automatically. Please advise if this is possible and how to go about it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: backup and sync from 3rd party server to my dropbox account

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @Mikeytres,

In general, we don't recommend to sync live databases with Dropbox. Most databases have remote access methods, so you don't need to sync the live database, although you should be able to sync saved snapshots.

That said, you can use Dropbox to share the data, but you need to take great care and understand how file syncing works.

Most programs create a "file lock" on any file that they're using, and this lock will prevent Dropbox from syncing the file, and in some cases you must fully quit the app before Dropbox can sync the data. You must then make sure Dropbox has finished syncing before trying to access the file from any computer.

If you're sharing the data between computers you must not run the app on more than one computer at a time as you'll generate file conflicts and other problems.

Thus, the pattern needs to be:

1. Let files sync
  2. Start application
  3. Save files
  4. Quit application
  5. Repeat on different computers.

I understand if this reply doesn't offer much insight on the matter, but I do hope it helps to some extent. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @Mikeytres,

In general, we don't recommend to sync live databases with Dropbox. Most databases have remote access methods, so you don't need to sync the live database, although you should be able to sync saved snapshots.

That said, you can use Dropbox to share the data, but you need to take great care and understand how file syncing works.

Most programs create a "file lock" on any file that they're using, and this lock will prevent Dropbox from syncing the file, and in some cases you must fully quit the app before Dropbox can sync the data. You must then make sure Dropbox has finished syncing before trying to access the file from any computer.

If you're sharing the data between computers you must not run the app on more than one computer at a time as you'll generate file conflicts and other problems.

Thus, the pattern needs to be:

1. Let files sync
  2. Start application
  3. Save files
  4. Quit application
  5. Repeat on different computers.

I understand if this reply doesn't offer much insight on the matter, but I do hope it helps to some extent. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Mikeytres
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil, 

Thank you for your response. Your detailed answered certainly helps me to better understand the issues and how to move forward. 

Much Appreciated!

Mike

Lusil
Dropboxer

Glad to hear that, @Mikeytres:relieved:

If you have any other questions in the future, don't hesitate to give us a nudge. In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    Mikeytres Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?