cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: blank login screen with dropbox app on windows 7 pc

blank login screen with dropbox app on windows 7 pc

bocceman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi.  I'v having issues with logging into an existing dropbox account on a windows 7 pc. 

If i roll back to version 15.4.22 I can see the login and I am able to enter my userid and password but then it tells me the version of software is too old and i need to download the lastest version.

I've tried the lastest version - 24.4.17 and all I get is a blank screen.  I've tried a few different versions, 18,19 and 20 versions and get the same blank screen.

Anybody have this issue?  Any solution for this?

126 Replies 126

denismcd
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I experienced the same issue this week setting up a new Mac. After traying many different resolutions without success, I was able to resolve the issue by setting DropBox app to run in 32-bit mode. Once I made that change, the sign in dialog appears normally. Once I signed in I changed it back to 64-bit mode and it works great.

1. Install DropBox desktop application.
  2. Open your Applicatons Folder.
  3. Righ Click DropBox application > Get Info
  4. Check "Open in 32-bit Mode"
  5. Close the dialog box
  6. Launch DropBox desktop application and sign in.
  7. Repeat steps 2 - 5 (uncheck "Open in 32-bit mode"
  8. Restart the application.

Hope this helps someone. I spent hours on this.

DM

njleach
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also having the same issue with the blank login screen, even after completly disabling the firewall. The 'workaround' of simply trying to guess where the username/pw prompts are works OK for the personal account, but then when i try to add a linked account, that screen also comes up as blank and doesn't appear to follow the same layout. File version 22.4.24.0

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey bocceman, 

I’m sorry to hear about this. 

This may be related to antivirus or other security applications that are blocking our app. Try disabling any of these to see if the issue is resolved. If it is, you’ll need to setup these applications to allow our app to get through. 

If the issue persists, please submit a support request here https://www.dropbox.com/support so an agent can do some more specific troubleshooting with you. 

Thanks

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

bluerandy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue here.

Uninstalled Symantec Endpoint Protection and disabled firewall - did not resolve.

Old unsupported version 16x does show the login dialog but as mentioned, it reports version too old.

dhfernz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Same problems persists on my PC as well. Wondering if there is a bug in the new installer. I have been following it up on e-mails, sharing all screenshots. Ticket number is #5821620

Hoping to expect a resolution to this at the earliest.

Derick

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dhfernz@bocceman@bluerandy 

Let's go through some troubleshooting steps together about this issue.

1) Please disable your antivirus software.

Please ensure steps were followed for the configuration of your firewall and double check that the domains listed here have been allowed.

2) Please install the newest version of Dropbox with your antivirus turned off.

3) If you are using a remote connection or a virtual machine:

- Ensure the host attempting to view Dropbox is configured for 32 bit colour
- Try logging in on the actual machine rather than through a remote session

4) If none of the above won't fix this and the issue persists, please reach out to our support team so they can investigate and help.

Thank you!

Zed
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

dhfernz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Over the past 3-4 days, I have been doing all that is mentioned above and have also submitted screen shots to your team. The ticket for the same is raised #5821620

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dhfernz,

Thanks for the ticket ID! I located your case and your ticket is now escalated to our experts. They'll review your case and come back to you as soon as possible on this.

We appreciate your patience, thanks!

Zed
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

bluerandy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I was able to workaround the issue.

I noticed the PCs that have the issue were using static IP address. The ones with DHCP did not have the problem.

I switched the trouble PC to DHCP and the problem went away. I was able to login. I was then able to switch back to a static IP address and dropbox works as normal.

So you'd think there is a difference somehow between the network setting between the DHCP and static PCs, but I have a staticly assigned Windows 10 PC that also does NOT have the problem. I used the same IP address as the problem PC (only one connected to the network at a time, obviously).

So, it seems it only occurs on a Windows 7 Pro PC and using static IP address. It could be some Windows Update patch.

I have not been able to use a different network to test. However, I had my network team check outgoing connections from my PC during the dropbox blank login screen and there were none. So that tells me that whatever is blocking the connection blocks it before it reaches the network firewall. (I have tried 3 different workgroup switches of different makes and models, btw)

dhfernz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi bluerandy, glad the switch worked for you, but my PC is anyway set to DHCP. Hopefully i'll set a resolution for this from the technical team at Dropbox. It's been 5 days already with no solution in sight.

Need more support?