cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blank login screen with new installed dropbox on new installed macOS high sierra

blank login screen with new installed dropbox on new installed macOS high sierra

nicknick
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi all,

Join here today and my first question, since this is my first encountered problem after using dropbox so many years.

I fresh install macOS Sierra from recovery mode, new formated ssd, to my MacBook Air (mid 2011), and then upgrade to macOS high Sierra (10.13) immediately.

Then I download dropbox desktop app from dropbox.com and successfully installed, while the first running of the application, it pop up a blank "Set Up Dropbox" window, I cannot type anything to login as usual. So I cannot login my dropbox account nor sync file.

Captured screen below:

dropbox.png

I've try restart, re-install dropbox app, and restart my mac, nothing change.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nicknick
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi Jane and all,

I can now connect and sync with Dropbox, the workaround in simple: use shared non protection wifi to login Dropbox to finish the setup, then it can use back the network connection in my working enviornment with firewall protection.

Share with you what I've try and the findings, hope this info may help others:

1. Full offline installer not the cure, same result.
2.  I've no antivirus installed on my Mac yet.

3. I'm in my working environment, they use an enterprise grade firewall which I cannot change the setup, but as I know they don't block Dropbox but they have a SSL scan engine to protect network attack via SSL tunnel. Since my Mac can install and sync with Dropbox pervious, I just re-format the SSD and fresh install macOS High Sierra, my intention is to test the compatibility of High Sierra and my daily use software. So I firstly not question our firewall setting.

4. Nevertheless, I try to share my cellular phone data via wifi to my Mac, and then it can shown the login page! After successfully login, I disconnect my cellular phone data and use back my office network. Dropbox still keep syncing well. I guess the issue only affect the init login setup but not the normal function of Dropbox. Most possible suspicion is the Login setup page (I think it like a web page rather than a local precedure call window) somehow use SSL port to connect Dropbox server and it trigger our firewall's SSL protection. Just my wild guess and I cannot test deeply on this part.

Since Dropbox can securely sync and function well within my working enviornment, hope Dropbox developer may adjust the initial login setup process to reduce the possibe blocking?

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello, nicknick

What version of Dropbox Client are you using?  Try this one here https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-38-3-23/m-p/249102#M4403

if that doesn't work, then try the advice here. Very bizarre graphical glitch with such an easy fix.  It seems it was just an odd coincidence that it was the Dropbox folder and had nothing to do with the app itself. 

and let us know. Hopes this helps

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

nicknick
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The default installed version for now is v37.4.29.

Yes I've tried beta v38.3.23, sorry to let you know it didn't work too. Same result.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Okay, I edited my post and added an info that I found that may work

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

nicknick
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Read the adviced link, it was about Finder window, however all my Finder windows work fine and the "Set Up Dropbox" is not a Finder window but a login page, so cannot apply to this case.

Appreciate your help anyway.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

You are correct.  I had reread it earlier and saw that.  I am reading the Help Center.  What about this article, do you think anything applies to you?

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/mac-permissions

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/mac-osx-sierra-compatibility

I am just trying to help.

nicknick
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Seems not related. I've read this two web page before I post this question here.

The iCloud Drive setting is unchecked and nothing change.

Dropbox didn't pop up to request additional premission.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Sorry, I can't think of anything for you.  If you want to go ahead and get support from Dropbox itself, go to 

https://www.dropbox.com/support?ref=dropboxsupport

It will take some time for a response, but at least you can get it resolved.  Meanwhile, others experts might chime in here to help, I hope so as I can't think of anything else, Sorry

nicknick
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Don't be sorry, you're so kind to help,

I will try to ask Dropbox support, thankyou.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks and I had to fix that link as it directed incorrectly to an older support page.  Make sure you click it recently as it now has email support.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    nicknick Helpful | Level 5
    Chris_J Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?