cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

block dropbox saving screenshots

block dropbox saving screenshots

thesabim
Explorer | Level 3

I installed Dropbox in my Windows 7 and accepted to save my screenshots to DB. However, I do not want this feature anymore. Changing the option under Import did not work, and Dropbox keeps hijacking my Printscreen key. The folder named Screenshots is not created in My Pictures and I cannot even find the folder ScreenshotIndex in my Registry.

I need a solution for this issue. Anyone here with the same problem? Thanks a lot. Thelma

5 Replies 5

Re: block dropbox saving screenshots

PeterN1
Helpful | Level 6

I think that going into Dropbox Preferences, and unchecking 'Share screenshots using Dropbox' on the Import tab will help.

fyi

-Peter

thesabim
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the reply. I already unselected that option, but Dropbox keeps using my Print Screen.

I found a solution for Mac system, but nothing for Windows 7. The solutions for Windows 10 refer to a folder ScreenshotIndex in the Registry, but this folder is gone and Screenshots folder cannot be recreated by Windows because the Print Screen is somehow commandeered by Dropbox.

I am still stuck for a solution.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there, @thesabim!

Could you please confirm that you’ve unchecked the option Share screenshots using Dropbox, clicked Apply, and then OK? Could you please send me a screenshot (omitting any personal info) of your Preferences… showing the Import tab?

Also, are the screenshots you refer to imported from the computer or uploaded from the mobile app? How are they uploaded?

Any additional info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Cheers! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

thesabim
Explorer | Level 3

Peter and Lusil,

I was under the impression that if screenshots were created by the PrintScreen command, then saved in Screenshot folders, that process could be reversed and the images returned to My Pictures. Wrong!! No such automatic feature is available in Windows 7 - it began with Windows 8.

Furthermore, I read an article that mentioned a Screenshot folder automatically created in Win 7/8/10.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-print-screen-folder-location-windows

That information turned out to be wrong.

So, case closed.  After redoing your suggested steps and rebooting my PC, the Dropbox stopped saving the screenshots. Thank you for your help.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Glad to hear you were able to resolve your concern, @thesabim! Let us know if you have any other questions. Have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    thesabim Explorer | Level 3
    PeterN1 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?