cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't redirect into reparse point please choose different target path

can't redirect into reparse point please choose different target path

dhainlin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So, I uninstalled Dropbox. Now I find that my folders; Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and God knows what else are all set to my Dropbox folder. When I go to 'restore' these folders to their correct, default Windows 10 path, I get the above error message. This is outrageous. What is the solution?

67 Replies 67

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hello everyone, 

Our engineer's have looked into this and have provided a solution that should assist. If you follow the steps below, this should ensure that your folders are restored to the default for your PC. If you have any other issues, feel free to create a new thread and we will follow up with you shortly. 

1) Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running (re-download if you have already deleted the application)
2) Click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray and then click your profile picture or initials
3) Select ‘Preferences’
4) Click on the ‘Account’ tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)
5) Hold down the ‘alt+H’ keys
6) select the option to “reset OS folders”

EdNewbold
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Worked perfectly for me.  Thank you!

KennethDotsey
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

There is no one that can answer this question Basically if things with a computer do not work you either have to format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system 

EdNewbold
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

No... do not do that.  It's way too drastic.  The Dropbox engineers came up with the correct answer above, and it works.  If you're stuck, ask them for assistance in working through the necessary steps.

kraknx7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have this problem too. It's so annoying. I don't want my folders moved when I install Dropbox

fdsafgasdfgas
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hello. I have this same issue but i cant do this solution because i deleted my original dropbox account i used

damnfdh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

re-downloaded the dropbox app and It only created a new path "2022 Dropbox (Old)". What should I do? 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @damnfdh, thanks for the nudge and sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Can you let us know what the issue is exactly? So more details, would be really helpful.

And if you can also describe the steps you followed, after you came across it, that would also be great.

Is anybody else perhaps still having issues with this?

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

anthonymassis
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I made an account just to say this feature is one of the stupidest features to ever exist. I uninstalled dropbox and noticed it was still integrated into my registry. I deleted the folder not knowing it held my entire desktop, and wiped my whole drive. I system restored, and I still lost 80% of my files. I had no idea dropbox was so terrible, and literally a VIRUS. If you want some constructive feedback, tell your dropbox engineers to automatically have the OS folders reset when you go to uninstall. 

rudinskyla
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also having trouble redirecting the reparse point. When I try it says unable to redirect, please choose different target path. I have redownloaded the dropbox app but am unable to sign in since it was through a company account and they changed the password when I departed the company. Now my connections to personal folders, like downloads won't work. Can I get some assistance? 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ColeSnow Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?