cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't see some desktop files when I sign in online

can't see some desktop files when I sign in online

mary12
Explorer | Level 4

This is really two problems. I only need a solution to the second on now, but I'll be very grateful for help with either.

There are some files that I can see on my desktop drop box, and can find and search via the finder, but I cannot see these files when I sign in to dropbox online (using the safari browser). In fact, what I see when I sign in via safari is very different from what I see in the desktop browser.

I need to share a file that I can see in my desktop app (using the finder window) with someone else, but I cannot see how to share it from the desktop. Please, does anyone know if there is a way to share from the desktop?

many thanks!

7 Replies 7

Re: can't see some desktop files when I sign in online

mary12
Explorer | Level 4

PS I have now learned about incompatible characters and file names... but still not sure how to fix that or share the folder I need to share

Elixir
Super User

Hello @mary12, Is the Dropbox app running on your computer? Do you see a Dropbox icon on the menubar? When you hover/keep your mouse pointer over the icon, does it show Up to date

Screenshot 2018-10-16 at 9.15.23 PM.png

mary12
Explorer | Level 4

Hi and thanks for the speedy reply! I can indeed see the dropbox icon

I don't see that message if I hover the cursor over it, no.

However, if I click on it I can see a list of recent files.

I just learned that some of my files are not syncing because of invalid characters in the file name

mary12
Explorer | Level 4

Hi again Elixir, well, it turns our I can see that message saying that it is up to date. I just wasnt patient enough with the mouse.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @mary12! I just wanted to add to this thread in case you’re still having some trouble with this - although both @Elixir and you did amazing work on some initial troubleshooting, awesome work! 

Concerning what you mention initially, the first thought that popped into my head was that you could be signing onto another account via the website. Could you please check which email address your desktop app is associated with and which email address you’re using via the website? You can check this by:
Furthermore, if you find incompatible characters by using our bad files check tool, then I’d kindly recommend giving this link a read, which gives some tips on how to tackle them. 

Finally, to share content with another user from your computer, are you able to carry out the following steps?
  1. Open your Dropbox folder.
  2. Right-click the folder you want to share.
  3. Select Share…
  4. Enter the email addresses of the people you want to invite.
  5. Select Can edit from the pull-down menu. You can also select Can view to make them a viewer.
  6. Add a message about the files and click Invite.
You can find these steps and more relevant info in this article

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mary12
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you again Elixir, and Lusil, thank you so much also for your very detailed and helpful post. That was just the information I needed.

I did succeed in sharing the folder. Now I need to tackle the unsyncable file names--which I see you gave me a link for.

It was a great and positive surprise to get the help I needed so fast!

Lusil
Dropboxer
Happy to have helped, @mary12! :innocent: If you have any other questions, just give us a shout. 

In the mean time, have a wonderful day ahead! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    mary12 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?