cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot install on linux: "This is usually because of a permissions error. "

cannot install on linux: "This is usually because of a permissions error. "

chirvasitua
Helpful | Level 6

I have a fresh Linux install that I would like to connect to my Dropbox account (the distro is Void linux). Try as I might, I cannot manage to install. Whether I try the headless install (64 bit) at

https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux

or my distro's dropbox package, the daemon always returns the same error:

Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error.

I am appending the text of the last error log file I got in /tmp/ at the very end of this message. Note that this computer has not ever had Dropbox installed, so replies to similar problems on this forum regarding removing old config files, etc. would probably not be applicable.

Thank you very much.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: cannot install on linux: "This is usually because of a permissions error. "

chirvasitua
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you very much for replying so speedily. Since I've resolved the issue, I believe I would rather share that here, in case the issue occurs for someone else.

---

Apparently, the daemon's attempt to call up libraries it couldn't find (as in the last line of that error text file I appended: "ImportError: libxslt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory") was prompted by my running it from within my window manager session. What ended up working was closing out all Xorg sessions and simply running ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd directly in a tty.

Since I was running it for the first time on this computer I got the usual direction to link the computer to my account. I then started the Xorg session *after* starting the daemon and followed the link with a working browser to link the account. It then synced as expected, so all is running well now.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

chirvasitua
Helpful | Level 6

I am afraid I forgot to append the text of the error file. Here it is.

-----

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 33.4.23
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: failed
pid: 8455
ppid: 1
ppid exe: failed
uid: 1000
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='chirvasitua', pw_passwd='x', pw_uid=1000, pw_gid=1000, pw_gecos='', pw_dir='/home/chirvasitua', pw_shell='/usr/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='chirvasitua', pw_passwd='x', pw_uid=1000, pw_gid=1000, pw_gecos='', pw_dir='/home/chirvasitua', pw_shell='/usr/bin/bash')
euid: 1000
gid: 1000
egid: 1000
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='chirvasitua', gr_passwd='x', gr_gid=1000, gr_mem=[])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='chirvasitua', gr_passwd='x', gr_gid=1000, gr_mem=[])
LD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/home/chirvasitua'
     real_path='/home/chirvasitua'
                mode=040755     uid=1000        gid=1000
     parent     mode=040755     uid=0   gid=0
HOME: u'/home/chirvasitua'
appdata: u'/home/chirvasitua/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path=u'/home/chirvasitua/.dropbox/instance1'
                mode=040700     uid=1000        gid=1000
         parent mode=040700     uid=1000        gid=1000
dropbox_path: u'/home/chirvasitua/Dropbox'
              real_path=u'/home/chirvasitua/Dropbox'
                        not found
              parent    mode=040755     uid=1000        gid=1000
sys_executable: '/home/chirvasitua/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-33.4.23/dropbox'
                real_path='/home/chirvasitua/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-33.4.23/dropbox'
                        mode=0100755    uid=1000        gid=1000
                parent  mode=040755     uid=1000        gid=1000
trace.__file__: '/home/chirvasitua/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-33.4.23/library.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/home/chirvasitua/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-33.4.23/library.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                        not found
                parent  not found
tempdir: '/tmp'
         real_path='/tmp'
                mode=041777     uid=0   gid=0
         parent mode=040755     uid=0   gid=0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 5771, in main_startup
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 2542, in run
  File "ui/common/uikit.py", line 637, in create_ui_kit
  File "dropbox/client/ui/qt/__init__.py", line 33, in <module>
  File "PyQt5/QtWebKit.py", line 14, in <module>
ImportError: libxslt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Jane
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting in touch on the Dropbox Community with this error log, much appreciated!

To further assist you on this matter, I'd like to ask you to raise a ticket with our team sending us the error log as here. Once you do, please let me know a ticket ID here, so that I look up for your ticket internally and assign that to a colleague, in order to take care of your request.

(Note: Your ticket number should be a 7 digit number, which allows us to look for your ticket on our system. You should be able to see it in the email heading that you receive as soon as you submit your request.)

Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

chirvasitua
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you very much for replying so speedily. Since I've resolved the issue, I believe I would rather share that here, in case the issue occurs for someone else.

---

Apparently, the daemon's attempt to call up libraries it couldn't find (as in the last line of that error text file I appended: "ImportError: libxslt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory") was prompted by my running it from within my window manager session. What ended up working was closing out all Xorg sessions and simply running ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd directly in a tty.

Since I was running it for the first time on this computer I got the usual direction to link the computer to my account. I then started the Xorg session *after* starting the daemon and followed the link with a working browser to link the account. It then synced as expected, so all is running well now.

View solution in original post

Jane
Dropboxer

Thanks for following-up here with the steps you followed, as well as the solution that worked for you, I appreciate your contribution a lot! :unicorn:

I ve made sure to accept your latest reply as a solution, so that other users find it easier. 

Please get back in touch at any time here at any time if there’s anything else we could help with.
Hope you have a great weekend ahead! :slight_smile:

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    chirvasitua Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?