cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant get Dropbox to install Windows 7 Microsoft security essentials

cant get Dropbox to install Windows 7 Microsoft security essentials

mbsigman
Explorer | Level 3

Cant get dropbox to install.  Windows 7/ microsoft security essentials.  Click run nothing happens.  One time got "connection error if your computer connects to the internet through a proxy server please specify your settings here" message.

11 Replies 11

Re: cant get dropbox to install windows 7 microsoft security essentials

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @mbsigman, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community. 

You may find this article helpful, but if you have any other trouble when attempting to install the desktop app, just give me a shout. 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mbsigman
Explorer | Level 3

This did ---NOT--- work.  I turned off the firewall. I allowed both dropbox.exe and the installation file to be actuated.  NO FIX.

So how would I give you "a shout" as there is no way on your website to actually speak to a human being?  You have a great bot thing, but talk to a human being?  Forget about it.  So how do I contact you?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this, @mbsigman

Although your technical support options depend on what kind of account you have (which you can check out by going to our Support page), I'm here to help troubleshoot as much as possible with you. 

Having said that, just to make sure that I have a better understanding of the error message that you're seeing, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of it?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mbsigman
Explorer | Level 3

I would love to send you a screenshot, but it would be a screenshot of....nothing.

I click on download dropbox.  Get a thing in the lower right corner of the screen showing the load dropbox program has downloaded.  I click on it and it comes up with the run the download screen.  I click on run, I see the swirling circle for approximately ten seconds and then the whole thing disappears.   Gone. 

It will not download.

I tried to turn off the firewall and then download, no fix.  

mbsigman
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry, lower left corner.  Haven't had nearly enough to drink tonight.

Rich
Super User II

Temporarily disable Security Essentials or any other antivirus you may have and try to run the download again.

mbsigman
Explorer | Level 3

I turned off Microsoft Security Protection real time protection which allegedly turns off this antivirus package.  I went to MalWarebytes and allowed the dropbox.exe file.  I then went to dropbox, downloaded the install.exe file, clicked on run, got the swirling circle for maybe three seconds and *poof* it disappeared - and no dropbox.

Now what?

Rich
Super User II

@mbsigman wrote:

I then went to dropbox, downloaded the install.exe file, clicked on run, got the swirling circle for maybe three seconds and *poof* it disappeared - and no dropbox.

Now what?

Find whatever it is that's blocking Dropbox.

Something on your computer is preventing Dropbox from running. You need to figure out what that is. Use the event logs on your computer to see if there's anything mentioned there. Check the logs for any security software that may still be running. Also, check to see if you have a log file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\client\Dropbox.exe.log.

You mention allowing the Dropbox executable in Malwarebytes. Adding the .exe isn't always enough. When you're having problems like this the best course of action while troubleshooting is to completely disable any such software. This is a troubleshooting step, and not meant to be permanent. You can reactivate any security software you've disabled after you've identified and corrected the problem.

mbsigman
Explorer | Level 3

Rich,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling with your advice.

"Find whatever it is that's blocking Dropbox.

Something on your computer is preventing Dropbox from running."

Unfortunately for me, I am acutely aware that something on my computer is preventing dropbox from running.  'Find whatever it is that's blocking dropbox' doesn't tell me exactly HOW to do this or exactly WHAT I need to do to find whatever it is that's blocking dropbox.

If I were to throw you in the Captain's seat of the airplane I flew, told you the clouds were down to fifty feet - go find the airport and land without crashing, chances are relatively good that you'd be asking me "How?"  

Everybody is smart at something; although I'm pretty good at flying airplanes this computer stuff is (obviously) not my forte'.

"Check the logs for any security software that may still be running. "

Exactly how do I perform this step?  What logs?  Where do I find these logs?  If I were to find these logs, how would the security software that is still running be indicated?

"When you're having problems like this the best course of action while troubleshooting is to completely disable any such software."

I thought I had done exactly that; judging from your reaction it's obvious that I had not done this.  So short of removing both programs, exactly how do I completely disable both the MalWare and the Microsoft Security Essentials?

Respectfully

Mike

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?