cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change my dropbox folder name on my PC

change my dropbox folder name on my PC

Elliott F.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have my dropbox folder in the D drive of my computer. For some reason, the dropbox folder is not named "D:\Dropbox", but "D:\Dropbox (Elliotfan)" with my account name together. Does anybody know how to return the name back to "D:\Dropbox" without messing up the saved files?

Thanks.

55 Replies 55

davidhere40
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a much better solution. I have over 50GB of data in my dropbox. So even the solution where I reinstall to get the default folder name wasn't acceptable to me. So I found a great work around. Just create a symbolic "hard link". I had never used one before, but it's supported but all windows, linux and mac. Here is how I created the link:

1) Open a cmd prompt as admin. (Search for cmd.exe, right click and then click run as administrator)

2) Execute: mklink /J "C:\Dropbox" "C:\Dropbox (Personal)"

Now you can use "C:\Dropbox" (or whatever location you decided on) to interact with the same files as if you had typed in C:\Dropbox (Personal). All software and programs will now treat it as if the folder were located there 🙂 The best part is that this solution is easy, fast and doesn't have any downsides.

ekul
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is not solved, but Dropbox needs to solve it (and mark it unsolved until then). To be clear, all that is absolutely needed is a checkbox for 'compatible dropbox naming' which will switch the space for an underscore and remove the parentheses. Of course it would be lovely to have full control of naming, but for the time being can you just stop your software breaking our computers please? Unbelievable that you've been promoting an unsupported workaround for over two years rather than just fixing this.

Justin M.34
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

LOL at DropBox's latest redesign. Its cool, I guess... Martketing ploy. Most design media is mixed reviews, majority negative. Looks like it cost a lot of money, but doesn't have legs. A little Brutalism mixed with a few other shot term trends... Feels like some high level director was pressured to attempt to generate new business in new markets. Whomever was in charge of that **bleep**show def shat the bed on that one. 

What would actually be cool is if you listened to your product team and simply let people rename their f*ng dropbox folders. So they don't have spaces and special characters.

That is literally all we want. No symlinks. Let us rename our folders. BOOM! Problem solved!

That would change everything. But you didn't prioritize that. Instead you launched a visual campaign that will be stale in 14-30days. I'm already over it. Its juvenile design at best. Screams style over function... childish, desperate. Ugh.

As a Dropbox user since Day 1 - PLEASE- stick to product design. And get it right. I've paid you at leat 3-5k a year by my books for almost ten years. I loved you, but you suck now! Sync.com is kicking your asses feature-wise up and down the court. The measly 15-20 Pro accounts I switched off DropBox to Sync might not mean **bleep** to whomever is reading this. But if you did care, you'd try to do a little better. Which you aren't. So.... yeah. **bleep** shame. Dropbox had every opportunity to not be an outdated and out performanced tool. Which is exactly what it is now.

pphilggg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This does not work on a Mac... no hardlinks to directories

pphilggg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
The fact that this has been open for so long really says that Dropbox is viewed as a tool only for documents not for any sort of programming or business applications. Which is fine I guess. As long as everybody knows that going in.

mb2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Putting the entire path link inside " " worked for me in Latex. Coding should be similar.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mb2 Explorer | Level 3
    pphilggg New member | Level 2
    Justin M.34 Helpful | Level 5
    ekul Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?