cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: changed home folder name, now db will not start

changed home folder name, now db will not start

Ian R.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

On my Mac I changed my home folder/user name folder. Now, when dp starts, it attempts to change permissions on the original home folder, which no longer exists, and then exits. Is there a way to tell dp that this folder no longer exists, and to move to the new.
Thanks for any assist.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stefanie
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Ian,

You'd need to do a complete reinstall in order to fix this. First, make sure you save and quit ALL programs that access files in the Dropbox folder.

1. Download the newest version:

www.dropbox.com/install

1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):
- Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
- Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'
  1. Delete Dropbox meta-data folder:
- To delete this folder open a Terminal (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal for Mac OS)
- Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal and press RETURN:

mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old
mv ~/.dropbox-master ~/.Trash/dropbox-master.old

- This will move the folder to the Trash and make it visible. Please note that you could see an error message regarding the existence of the folder ".dropbox-master" when you run the last of the lines above. This is completely normal and you can go on with the next step.
  1. Delete the Dropbox Contextual Menu Item Plugin
- Open the Finder and select Go to folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift-Command-G)
- A dialog box should appear. Now copy and paste the following line into the box and press the return key:

/Library/

- Finally drag the DropboxHelperTools folder to the Trash and enter your Administrator password if prompted to complete this action.
  1. Reinstall the Dropbox desktop application
- Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon.
- Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.
- Relink your account.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

Stefanie
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Ian,

You'd need to do a complete reinstall in order to fix this. First, make sure you save and quit ALL programs that access files in the Dropbox folder.

1. Download the newest version:

www.dropbox.com/install

1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):
- Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
- Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'
  1. Delete Dropbox meta-data folder:
- To delete this folder open a Terminal (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal for Mac OS)
- Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal and press RETURN:

mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old
mv ~/.dropbox-master ~/.Trash/dropbox-master.old

- This will move the folder to the Trash and make it visible. Please note that you could see an error message regarding the existence of the folder ".dropbox-master" when you run the last of the lines above. This is completely normal and you can go on with the next step.
  1. Delete the Dropbox Contextual Menu Item Plugin
- Open the Finder and select Go to folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift-Command-G)
- A dialog box should appear. Now copy and paste the following line into the box and press the return key:

/Library/

- Finally drag the DropboxHelperTools folder to the Trash and enter your Administrator password if prompted to complete this action.
  1. Reinstall the Dropbox desktop application
- Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon.
- Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.
- Relink your account.

I hope this helps!

Tamsin S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks. Worked a treat.

Ron K.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

For those that helped It is all well and is working perfectly as it should THANKS

Judy B.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm trying to follow the procedure recommended. After you start by downloading the newest version, it doesn't say to double click the .dmg. Without that , the dropbox icon in the menu bar shows the top level of my dropbox, without my signing in, and I don't see a Notifications panel . (on iMac, 2013 model, running Yosemite, if that means anything). I clicked the DMG and it says to double click the pkg to install . Is that what I do? that sort-of makes sense.
thanks for clarification.

Alice J.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

I just upgraded from 10.8 to 10.10 - I am a network user (local account authenticates with AD). My old User account name wasn't recognized when I upgraded, so I had to migrate my old user account to my new user network name (basically, it just changed the name). This is why Dropbox got broken - it couldn't find the path to the old name, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

I was trying everything from removing my client folder and trying to deleting the plist, but nothing was working. Could not figure out how to change the name of the renamed user account. I finally did more intense searching and found this link. 

Notes: I never did have to stop Dropbox, since it wouldn't even launch! So no problem there. Also, I did not find the file in my user Library, DropboxHelperTools, but no problem either. It all is working again regardless.

THANK YOU!!

Stefanie
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Alice,

I'm super glad to hear everything is working again! 🙂

Scott V.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm now on my 4th month with a Mac and am still learning my way around. Thank you so much for the help. This worked like a charm!

Sue M.26
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks, Terminal couldn't find the files in step 1 but deleting the Dropbox HelperTools folder did it for me!

Stefanie
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

If you cannot find the folder under Dropbox HelperTools that's ok, you can still continue with the rest of the instructions.

I'm glad this is working for you all!

Need more support?