cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

computer backup

Explorer | Level 3

I just installed the Dropbox app and backed up my computer.  All the messages told me I could find everything on my computer where it was before I did the back up.  However, it does not appear to have backed up everything AND... None of the files are showing up anywhere!  They are gone from my laptop desktop where they were located before, and I cannot find them in the (supposedly) backed up folders in dropbox.  Where are they???

7 Replies 7

Re: computer backup

Dropboxer

Hey @Clayton J.; thanks for posting on our Community and happy Monday!

Did you give the app enough time to sync those changes after enabling the computer backup feature? 

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you please send us a screenshot of the app's status as shown in your system tray/menu bar?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Up to Date!

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 12.17.11 PM.png

Explorer | Level 3

Gave the app lots of time... was receiving some notifications about the number of files it was syncing...  Notifications stopped... waited even longer to make sure.... 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @Clayton J.

If you check in the local Dropbox folder, do you happen to see a "My Mac" folder there with the files inside?

If not, can you make sure that you have the option to "Show hidden files" enabled on this device, to see if that makes any difference?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

can't find backed up files

Explorer | Level 3

Installed app and tried to backup my mac.  Backed up desktop and downloads.  Now nothing shows on my desktop.  can't find those fies in dropbox anywhere.  Plenty fo time for backup to occur and it says I am up to date.

Checked in "deleted files" and found, apparently, my backup? (computer backup.dbx-backup)

How do I get my files back?

Explorer | Level 3

My files are not in the local dropbox folder.

I can't find an option to "show hidden files."  where would that be?

I did find this: computer backup.dbx-backup        in my "deletd files" in dropbox (stamped at the time I backed up my computer.

Where are my files?

Dropboxer

The option to show hidden files is an OS setting, so I can suggest doing a quick web search on how to do this based on which OS version you're running on your computer.

Let me know if you see the files in the local Dropbox folder after doing this.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?