cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

conflicting copies and deleted files still appearing

conflicting copies and deleted files still appearing

nathan s.2
New member | Level 1

For weeks now we have been seeing the same users getting conflicting copies in there group dropbox folders. These users won't ever open these specific files therefore don't understand why the same files constantly have conflicting files.
This is not the only problem users have been complaining that when they've deleted files from dropbox that the next day these files have reappeared again.
Help with this is much appreciated.

44 Replies 44

Rob M.16
New member | Level 1

This is such a pain. ALL my files have conflicted copies. I deleted them on my computer but they are still there on the Dropbox. There needs to be batch remove feature. I have >100,000 files to delete. Please advise how to delete ALL the conflicted copies. 

Samuel D.3
New member | Level 1

Similar problems here. I'm syncing my Dropbox to a Windows machine, Linux machine, and a Blackberry mobile phone. Every single time I open, edit, and save a file on my Blackberry, with any application, the new version is saved as a conflicted copy. It is completely unusable on my mobile at present. The desktops work though.

Roland L.
New member | Level 1

Same problem here. A few months ago I started getting all kids of conflicted copies that i had not opened on any computer for at least 3 years.  I run three machines and they conflicted copies are happening from multiple machines.  And I am having multiple copies of the same file from the same machine. That certainly has to be a bug.

It was such a great product but right now I had to turn it off on all machines.  I hope you guys work it out before I give up. Currently, I have 841 conflicted files

Davide P.1
New member | Level 1

How has this thread been going on for *MONTHS* and there's still no fix?

Uninstalled Dropbox on PC (primary) and laptop (used on travel only). Deleted the original files and the now 4x conflicted copies that I never created. Went on Dropbox.com and deleted the files again.

Rechecked the destination folder? BAM! Back at it again. Installed on PC and/or laptop? Delete it? Nevermind...doesn't matter!

Is this issue going to get fixed in a timely manner or....? Alternative product that does the same thing?

Rod F.1
New member | Level 1

This is a serious issue that takes up wayyy too much time to fix.  I understand the reason for a the conflicted copy feature but it doesn't mean you should make it work as it does.  

How about if you could right click on a file and access a conflicted copy.  Once a file has been updated you can remove all conflicted copies then just have one file.  That way there is still only ONE copy there and you would still have the 'safety' of the conflicted copy from dropbox's point of view.... BUT it won't take up the space in our accounts and won't cause all the coding issues that we are facing (these are the SAME files right?!). 

Haolin F.
New member | Level 2

Tones of conflicted copies in many places, not only taking up unnecessary space, but also taking my faith in dropbox away. In my case, almost all of them were caused by bad implementation of synchronization instead of modifying the files in both machines at the same time. Please fix this

Neal F.1
New member | Level 1

I've experienced the same issue.  Started with jpg files that were in the system that were basically pics from an old work event.  No one had them open to edit.  Doubtful that they were even being viewed.  Over several weeks I wound up with 55 conflicted copies of one file as an example.  Support folks told me about files being simultaneously edited.  Really?   I don't have 55 users or 55 computers in our group.  These are pictures, not word or excel files.  These aren't being edited at all, let alone simultaneously.  

When I spoke to the help group, I had the impression this was something new.  Now I see this thread goes back nearly 2 years.  Makes me doubtful re a resolution.  

I presume that means it is time to look for an alternative.  

Unfortunate.  

Gary K.
New member | Level 1

Same issue here. I use Dropbox to store my pretty large iTunes library. No server with my computers, but conflicted copies are turning my library into a HUGE mess. Don't know where to start!! Thinking of switching to iTunes music match and downgrading my DB account. Major pain...

Roland L.
New member | Level 1

I went through and deleted all the conflicted copies and It all seems to be OK since then. It still doesn't explain why it happened.

Pavel K.10
New member | Level 2

I think first good coders who did core code are long time out, and new ones simply cannot adjust old code, so all old issues are with us forever, or at least until somebody will rewrite it from scratch (with danger of losing customers).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Roland L. New member | Level 1
    Gary K. New member | Level 1
    Neal F.1 New member | Level 1
    Haolin F. New member | Level 2
    Rod F.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?